I think I figured it out! White pattern gold wheaten.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_223836_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_223836_Chrome.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 7
I think I figured it out! White pattern gold wheaten.
If that's what you want, then look for a starting chicken that has Wheaten rather than starting with e+, and it should work pretty well!

Rhode Island Reds are fairly common and have Wheaten (E^Wh) and Columbian (Co), although they also have Mahogany (Mh) turning the gold into red which may make them darker than you want.

Actually, if you want Wheaten and Dominant White, you could try some of the common Red Sexlinks as starting stock (Gold Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown, etc) They should be good layers, dual purpose, lay brown eggs, readily available. I'm no so sure about foraging ability and temperament. They do have a reputation for having reproductive issues once they are a year or two old, but I've also seen some people talk about having ones that are much older than that, so it looks like that varies from one bird to another.

Thanks btw!
You're welcome!

If that's what you want, then look for a starting chicken that has Wheaten rather than starting with e+, and it should work pretty well!

Rhode Island Reds are fairly common and have Wheaten (E^Wh) and Columbian (Co), although they also have Mahogany (Mh) turning the gold into red which may make them darker than you want.

Actually, if you want Wheaten and Dominant White, you could try some of the common Red Sexlinks as starting stock (Gold Comet, Red Star, ISA Brown, etc) They should be good layers, dual purpose, lay brown eggs, readily available. I'm no so sure about foraging ability and temperament. They do have a reputation for having reproductive issues once they are a year or two old, but I've also seen some people talk about having ones that are much older than that, so it looks like that varies from one bird to another.

You're welcome!
I tried making it again in the calculator but can't figure out how I did it.

How do I get the wheaten gene from the leghorn and welsummer?
You don't.

The first dropdown box has the e-locus genes (locus being the spot on the chromosome, E being the name of one of the genes and the letter used in the abbreviation for all of them.)

White Leghorn should have E (Extended Black.)
Welsummer and Brown Leghorn should have e+ (duckwing or wild-type or various other names)
Wheaten is E^Wh.

So you aren't going to get Wheaten from Welsummer or from Leghorns (White or Brown).

But you can get Wheaten from Wheaten Marans, or from Rhode Island Reds and a bunch of related breeds and mixes (New Hampshire, Production Red, any of the Red Sexlink types-- I think I listed some of their names in a previous post.)

The other breeds I can think of that have Wheaten have various other traits you don't want (examples: Black Tailed Buff Japanese are bantams, Wheaten Old English Game come in bantam and standard size but are not a dual-purpose type chicken.)

I tried making it again in the calculator but can't figure out how I did it.
Try changing the e-locus gene (top dropdown box) to E^Wh/E^Wh, and see if that does it.

So I'm following the original plan with the lehorn hen and welsummer roo (black pattern gold duckwing). Got the white pattern gold duckling but I'm not sure how to get the white tail?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_223045_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_223045_Chrome.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 3
So I'm following the original plan with the lehorn hen and welsummer roo (black pattern gold duckwing). Got the white pattern gold duckling but I'm not sure how to get the white tail?
I got this somehow yesterday. (White pattern gold wheaten)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240515_224206_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_224206_Chrome.jpg
    124.5 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20240515_224217_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240515_224217_Chrome.jpg
    169.5 KB · Views: 1
The normal duckwing color has a black tail.
Dominant White turns all the black into white, so the black tail turns white too. You don't need a separate gene to do that.

I got this somehow yesterday. (White pattern gold wheaten)
Starting with the default settings (genes marked with +), and Dominant White (I/I instead of i+/i+), just change the first box to E^Wh/E^Wh (Wheaten).

I think that will do it.

Back
Top Bottom