The normal duckwing color has a black tail.
Dominant White turns all the black into white, so the black tail turns white too. You don't need a separate gene to do that.

Starting with the default settings (genes marked with +), and Dominant White (I/I instead of i+/i+), just change the first box to E^Wh/E^Wh (Wheaten).

I think that will do it.
I mean like I somehow got the white pattern gold duckwing (parents: hen white unicolor self E and black pattern gold duckwing) to turn into a white pattern gold wheaten. I like the white pattern gold wheaten and I want to know if I somehow fudged something up in the genetics to make the wheaten or if it's actually possible to make the white pattern gold wheaten with the welsummer roo leghorn hen line? If that makes sense.

I mean like I somehow got the white pattern gold duckwing (parents: hen white unicolor self E and black pattern gold duckwing) to turn into a white pattern gold wheaten. I like the white pattern gold wheaten and I want to know if I somehow fudged something up in the genetics to make the wheaten or if it's actually possible to make the white pattern gold wheaten with the welsummer roo leghorn hen line? If that makes sense.
Not sure if I accidentally selected something to change the genetics to make the wheaten from the white pattern gold duckwing.

I think I see what you are asking, but the only way I can make the calculator call a chicken "white pattern gold wheaten" is if it has E^Wh/E^Wh or E^Wh/e^b.

If I start with white unicolor self (E/E) and black pattern gold duckwing (e+/e+), there is no way for their offspring to ever show Wheaten E^Wh unless they are crossed to something else.

What breeds are black pattern gold wheaten?
Wheaten Marans should be black pattern gold wheaten.

Buff Catalanas might be, too. I can't find much information about them, but pictures look about the same.

Rhode Island Red and New Hampshire and Production Reds are black pattern red columbian. That would be E^Wh/E^Wh, Co/Co, Mh/Mh, i+/i+.
That is Wheaten, Columbian, Mahogany, no Dominant White.

Red Sexlinks (like Gold Comet and ISA Brown) are usually white pattern red columbian. That's the same as Rhode Island Reds (above), but I/i+ so they have Dominant White.

If you can get Buff Catalanas, maybe start with them and Red Sexlinks. I think between them you can get all the traits on your list except possibly the temperament ones (I just can't tell about the temperament.)

If you can only get breeds that are relatively common, maybe get a few hens each of Red Sexlink, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorn, Brown Leghorn, and Welsummer, and see how well you like each kind. Breed them all to a Welsummer rooster and see what you think of the chicks. That would give you a mixed flock for a while, and you could narrow it down as you decide which ones you like best and which ones you do not.

I suggested those particular breeds because they make a nice mix of traits that may work for your project. There are two kinds with the duckwing coloring (Welsummer and Brown Leghorn), two with Wheaten and Columbian (Red Sexlink and Rhode Island Red), two with Dominant White (Red Sexlink and White Leghorn), and several temperament variations so you can compare. Both colors of Leghorn will lay white eggs, the other kinds and the mixes of them will lay brown of various shades.

I think I figured out that a wheaten maran roo and white leghorn hen would be the easiest way as far as getting the right color combo. Would the flighty temperament of the leghorn carry over?

Like this I think?

Attachments

• 20240516_111522.jpg
    20240516_111522.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240516_111539.jpg
    20240516_111539.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 2
I think I figured out that a wheaten maran roo and white leghorn hen would be the easiest way as far as getting the right color combo. Would the flighty temperament of the leghorn carry over?
That would probably work. I don't know for sure about the temperament, but probably at least part of it will.

Back
Top Bottom