Definitely wasn't expecting that

RedDrgn

Anachronistic Anomaly
11 Years
May 11, 2011
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
We've got 6 LF chickens (1.5-2 years old). We got 3 LF chicks that were 4 weeks old a few days ago.

The chicks are all pretty well feathered and the temps haven't been dipping below the mid-70s at night, so we fenced off a section of the run two days ago and put the chicks out to start the acclimation process. The rest of the flock was out roaming the yard when we put the fence up and put the chicks out in the run. When a few came back to the run for some water, they barely glanced at the fence and chicks..until our little brahma chick noticed the adults and ran AT them (only as far as the fence, of course). That was it! The whole flock freaked and went flapping and screaming out of the run and across the yard like a rabid dog was on their tails!
hu.gif

Last night, the adults were out ranging again, so we gave the chicks run of the entire run. As dusk arrived, the chicks were near the opening to "their section" when the adults returned. The adults came right in and began picking at the scratch that remained scattered about the run, again not paying the chicks any mind whatsoever. My DH and I were standing right among them, so we decided to watch....the chicks were a little wary of the adults, but didn't run from them and the adults when about picking and scratching and ignoring the chicks, even though they were standing right next to them.

Next thing we knew, the chicks were milling around the roo and two hens, picking and scratching with the best of them. NO ONE CARED! As it got darker, the adults headed into the coop and the chicks went back to their side and we closed up the fence again.

So while we're not leaving any of them together without being right with them until the chicks grow to a size they can at least defend themselves at....where was all of the flapping and pecking and aggression from the adults that I keep reading about? Are the chicks just not big enough to be deemed a threat/disruption to the pecking order yet, even though they spooked all of the adults out of the run and across the yard on their very first meeting?

A few days ago I saw a chick maybe 5 days old get separated from Mama and a pullet about 5 months old came between the chick and Mama. That chick panicked and ran/flapped/flew back to Mama in a straight line. Scared the crap out of that 5 month old pullet.

Chickens have been living together in flocks for thousands of years. Broody hens have been hatching and raising chicks with the flock for all that time, most of the time without a lot of drama. Usually Mama will wean her chicks and leave them to make their own way with the flock at 4 to 9 weeks. I had one do that at 3 weeks.

With an earlier hatch this year I had a broody keep her chicks inside the coop for about three days before she finally took them outside. One chick just would not go outside so Mama left it behind. That chick was by itself in the coop chirping miserably while the other hens came and went, laying their eggs. I expected one of them to kill it. Nope, they all ignored it. At about 1-1/2 weeks of age, it finally joined Mama and the other chicks outside. They are about 7 weeks old now and have been weaned for two weeks. That chick still hangs by itself a lot. Weird chick.

They are living animals and bad things can happen. Older chickens will often be quite brutal and even deadly to younger chicks, but not always. An age difference like that is dangerous.

But it sounds like yours have a separate place for them to sleep. That probably helps. It sounds like yours have a lot of room. I know that helps. I think that most of the horror stories you read about on this forum about broodies or integration come from people with limited space. Definitely keep an eye on them for a while because there really is a danger in that age difference, but don’t be too shocked if they work it out like chickens have been doing for thousands of years.

Good luck!

I had figured that a group of chicks hatched and raised in a flock would better integrate and associate with the group. Unfortunately, none of our hens have ever gone broody, so that's why we ended up ordering the chick trio and then keeping them completely separate for the past 4 weeks.

In consideration of the horror stories I've read and in an effort to avert any personal experience, we wanted to start the integration early so we could take it slow and not create too much chicken drama...we just didn't expect the chicks to get the best of the adults like they did or for the two groups to decide "Whatever!" and go about their business like nothing new had happened.

For now, we have the chicks and chickens in the same run, in sight of each other, but secured in their own separate portions.

So they can oggle and chat, but can't really get at each other. Last night was a fluke because the adults were out ranging and the chicks were in the run with my DH and I...and no one so much as squawked or bokked when the adults returned and saw the chicks on their own side of the fence; we couldn't help but watch in wonder as they then began to mill peaceably about our feet.

We definitely won't let them do together that without being among them as the chicks are still quite small and we don't know how extensive the patience levels of the adults really are. In a few weeks we'll cut a hole the chicks can get through and the adults cannot and see how that goes...hopefully instinct and plenty of space will be in our favor and things will be relatively smooth!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom