Deformed Chick

cakkleberrylane

In the Brooder
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Florida
I don't know if there are more deformed chicks this year, or we're just getting to them before they die naturally. These chicks come from wild hens. One that we cared for last year brought 14 chicks, one was only able to hop. The one leg bends all right, but the chick just holds it up close to his body. Yesterday I heard more peeping and found a hen and several chicks in our boat. I fed & watered them because the chicks had no way to get food or water otherwise. One of the chicks was like the one described above, but both legs and both little feet are held up beside his head. He's not able to eat or drink without help. I feel very bad because unless someone can feed him by hand, he'll starve to death. I can do it for awhile, but at some point, I'll need to go to work and can't take him with me all the time. His little legs will bend, I can pull them down without hurting him, but as soon as I let go, they go back up behind his head. Any suggestions from anyone???
Thanks.

If they are wild chickens there is probably a lot of inbreeding, and that is why you are seeing more deformities. The ones that cannot eat or drink on their own or be able to run away from predators won't last long.

It is sad, but unless you want to hand care for them yourself, it is probably best to put them out of their misery now before they die an awful death by starving or being eaten.

poor chick!

If I lived near you I would offer to take it from u... I am always raising animals in need. infact I just took in an orphaned wild rabbit a few hours ago.

I have had many deformed birds and raised them by hand...it gets hard.

I agree with the above post..maybe it's best to put it out of it's misery
sad.png

unless of course u can find a way..or someone who lives near you who has the time for it.

Back
Top Bottom