Deformed chicks in hatching eggs

Porterfive

Songster
12 Years
Sep 12, 2007
Collinsville, MS
I had a question about RIR eggs I recently incubated.
We had 30 eggs shipped from Florida, 11 hatched and about 14 weren't fertilized.
After they hatched I had 8 left that had chicks in them, saw them during candling and they all seemed to develope just like the others did.
I left them in the incubator for 24 days just to make sure.
We cracked them open and all were fully formed chicks.
They all had their internal organs bulging on the outside of their abdomens.
Does anyone know if this was just a result of leaving them in the incubator for those extra days or maybe the reason they didn't hatch like a birth defect?
Any advise or ideas would be appreciated. This is our first time incubating and want to learn what we can from the experience.
Thank you. Jennifer Porter

One of the last things that happens in chick development is the enclosure and drawing in of the abdomen. It is not uncommon, though not good, to have chicks hatch with the gut slightly exposed. Overall, for shipped eggs, I would call your hatch rate pretty good.

Jennifer

Sounds like a pretty good hatch to me also for shipped eggs.

As a seller of shipped eggs (however not these eggs), you state that a number of eggs weren't fertile. Just wanted to make a point that the eggs were not necessarily not fertile something could have happened during shipping that caused the eggs not to develop. The indication is that you got a good hatch thus most eggs were fertile, however for whatever reason did not develop.

What your observations show is that 19 eggs survived the trip, developed normally, but only 11 hatched. Since the chick developed and did not complete the hatch process, which means absorbing the yolk on the final day, has nothing to do with being shipped. It usually means conditions were not correct enough for hatching. Most likely an area in the incubator was too hot or too cold. I hope you gave a good feedback for these eggs, obviously they were good eggs and for whatever reason 14 were damaged in shipping.

Thanks for everyones replies so far.
I think people might be misunderstanding my post.
I am VERY happy with the eggs and left feed back for Florida Chick on the forum
I am just wondering what might have happened to the eight that had the organs developed on the outside.
This was my first time incubating eggs and was just wondering if this was something we did wrong or something genetic maybe?
Thank you. Jenny

Probably not gentetic-could have been incubation factors. COngrats on the healthy chicks
smile.png

I also say its the incubator factors.....temps & humidity incorrect, opening the bator too frequent and unsufficient oxygen can play a terrible roll in chicks growth in shells...

Shipping can make eggs seem to appear not fertile when they most likely were when shipped out....just because an egg was clear does not mean it wasn't fertile....

You did have a good hatch for shipped eggs.....Congrats...

Back
Top Bottom