Deformed easter egger chick

I didn't notice any other signs that the chick hatched too early. It's yolk was fully absorbed and its shell was pretty clean. But it was the first chick to hatch so it may be the cause. We also had a power outage rather late in the hatch- around day 19, that lasted about 4 hours. That may also be the culprit.
I doubt that small power outage would affect the shape of the skull and beak at that late in the game, probably happened early.
Could be it'll do just fine, could show some neurological issues down the road.

One thing I've read about cross beaked birds is that you need to keep the feed deep in the dish because they can't single granules up with the tip of the beak, they need to kind of scoop it up.

Good Luck!

I didn't notice any other signs that the chick hatched too early. It's yolk was fully absorbed and its shell was pretty clean. But it was the first chick to hatch so it may be the cause. We also had a power outage rather late in the hatch- around day 19, that lasted about 4 hours. That may also be the culprit.
I doubt that small power outage would affect the shape of the skull and beak at that late in the game, probably happened early.
Could be it'll do just fine, could show some neurological issues down the ro

One thing I've read about cross beaked birds is that you need to keep the feed deep in the dish because they can't single granules up with the tip of the beak, they need to kind of scoop it up.

Good Luck!

Could be it'll do just fine, could show some neurological issues down the ro

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tip! I noticed watching it eat that the poor thing flicks food from it's beak several times before keeping a bit to swallow. I'll make sure the feed is always full and hopefully he/she will get the hang of things.

Actually, this is a real condition. Google or do a search within BYC for "crossbeak" and you'll get a ton of threads. There are a lot of people out there who have provided healthy, happy homes for crossbeaks, even those with a severe condition. Depending on how bad it gets you may need to grind the beak down a little or prepare a food slurry to make it easier for them to eat. The reason you're seeing the difference in the eye is because it's not just a beak condition, but an actual skull deformity. It's like a baby being born with a misshapen skull. I imagine if they made a little chookie helmet it might help fix the problem.

One thing that might help your little cross beak with her nutrition is to give her moistened feed... kind of like oat meal consistency. You might want to do some reading regarding fermented feed.

Actually, this is a real condition. Google or do a search within BYC for "crossbeak" and you'll get a ton of threads. There are a lot of people out there who have provided healthy, happy homes for crossbeaks, even those with a severe condition. Depending on how bad it gets you may need to grind the beak down a little or prepare a food slurry to make it easier for them to eat. The reason you're seeing the difference in the eye is because it's not just a beak condition, but an actual skull deformity. It's like a baby being born with a misshapen skull. I imagine if they made a little chookie helmet it might help fix the problem.

Awww! Looks like there may be a market for baby chicken helmets! I did just as you suggested and found this great thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

Awww! Looks like there may be a market for baby chicken helmets! I did just as you suggested and found this great thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-for-special-needs-chickens-and-their-keepers

Oops! I meant to preview to double check the link and replied when I had more to say!! This thread may keep me busy for days. So many posts! But the first page has a tutorial for tube feeding-I'll keep my fingers crossed it doesn't come to that. But at least I'll be prepared. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom