Dehydration and Starvation

Thank you so much for your replies! To answer some questions, I do highly suspect the culprit(s) in this one! When I found her, her comb had been damaged and was bleeding. I watched 1 hen in particular, the other day, run her off from a scratch and meal worm treat I was throwing out. The sick little hen, Annie is her name btw, ran into the coop. I shut the door that day, and fed her her treat separate from the others so that she would get some. This was Thursday. I found it odd that they were running her off so aggressively, as this was the first I had seen it to that degree. That was how I put 2 + 2 together. I have feeding stations both inside and outside, but the water is only inside due to the freezing temps here. In the summer, there are always 2. I know all are bored as they are not free ranging, nor laying...another oddity, as some began laying late Jan-beginning of Feb., then suddenly stopped. No eggs the past 3 weeks. The run is 7 x 12' with lots of perches, stumps, ladders, and places to go. Underlings have always been able to zip out of the way. As the day goes on, she is perking up some, and even took 4 steps but her left side is significantly affected. I'm going to try some egg with her. I had put some meal worms into her oatmeal which seemed to help, but do prefer the nutritional idea of egg. She is a little fighter, I will say that!!! Thanks so much for your help! I'll keep you all posted!
Old post but I have a 9 month old pet rooster same as your hen was. Been 2 weeks I'm having to syringe feed him but he walks fine. Just will not eat or drink on his own.
So how long was her recovery? What breed. Mine is silkie cochin bantam

Back
Top Bottom