Delaware Blue Hen- Cockeral or Pullet? Aaaaaaaaaagh! Pics Included!

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
This little stinker is now 8.5 months old. Should be pretty clear, right? NOT!!!!
barnie.gif

I was convinced it was a cockeral shortly after hatch. Then after a few months, I was convinced it was a pullet. Now? I have no idea!
th.gif

Hasn't crowed, but I don't have any other roosters around it. No breeding, that I have seen. But he/she does act like a rooster when it comes to guarding a flock of 16. Not agressive, but not terribly friendly unless I have treats.

Just today I took a really close look and I could almost swear I see hackle and saddle feathers coming in. Sorry for the crappy pics - crappy camera. I am including a pic of a hen last, so you can see the differences.

Okay, the mystery chicken -

14937_possible_roo1.jpg

Again, the mystery chicken -

14937_possible_roo2.jpg

And now, a hen of the same breed -

14937_dbh_hen_for_comparison.jpg

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited:
Delaware Blues, despite the name, are actually a birchen color and not blue at all.

What you have are Blue Andalusian crosses. (blue andalusians shouldn't have green legs)

Two cockerels and a pullet.

They're Delaware Blue Hens, also called the Blue Hen of Delaware. Even the roosters are still called Delaware Blue Hens, lol. No wonder this poor bird is confused.
big_smile.png

The following link is to the BYC info page on the breed, done by another DBH breeder. They were crossed with Andalusians many years ago, to breed the "gaminess" out of their personalities.
Most of my confusion is due to the lack of the rooster tail feathers, which have been very dramatic in the ones I had in the past.
The greenish legs are a mystery to me. Most grow out of it. This particular group came directly from the Univ. of Delaware's breeding program.

ETA, forgot the link! https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/delaware_blue_hen/524

Last edited:
. . . What breed was I thinking of then?

Oh yes, Iowa Blue. Gosh so many names of weird, umm, crossbreeds out there. . .
tongue.png

Still, you've got two boys.

Quote:
The pictures are labeled as to what they are, right above the pic. The first 2 are the same bird, the third is a hen for comparison. There are not 2 roosters.

The DBH are BBS colorings. The bird in question is from a splash rooster over a blue or black hen.

Quote:
I'm beginning to think so, but no crowing or breeding behaviour at 8.5 months? Weird.
Maybe because he's been raised with 15 hens and 4 ducks?
lol.png

Here's a brief synopsis of the breed history:

"Hens are usually associated with nurturing, domestication, or femininity in general (chick!). Chickens are associated with, well, being a chicken, or being cowardly. So why on earth would male and female athletes from the University of Delaware choose the name “Blue Hen” for their teams?
The explanation comes from the history of the breed, which goes all the way back to the Revolutionary War regiment from Delaware and its captain, Jonathan Caldwell. Captain Caldwell was a breeder of game cocks, and he claimed that his prize fighting roosters all descended from the same blue hen. In the War for Independence, Caldwell’s troops were likewise renown for their bravery and excellence in battle, and as part of Colonel John Haslet’s regiment, they were nicknamed “the Blue Hen’s Chickens” after the ferocious fighting game cocks bred by Caldwell. The athletic teams of the University of Delaware are, therefore, the “Fightin’ Blue Hens” and the General Assembly of the State of Delaware chose it as the State Bird in 1939. The University of Delaware has a breeding program to improve the breed, which is not yet recognized, despite its history. Genetically, two Blue Hens will produce 50% blue, 25% white, and 25% black offspring, like other “blue” breeds."

The source is Bec, a member of BYC.

Double the apologies and serious
hide.gif

At that age I'd certainly say a pullet, but still, it has saddle and hackle feathers, just not very well developed. . . I still say cockerel, he's just a slow grower. Sometimes it takes 8 months for mine to crow or even get their true coloring in. (gold, silver, etc)

Quote:
LOL, no problem!

I posted some pics a while back and was disappointed that the consensus was pullet. I want another rooster. This is bar none the hardest case in 18 years of raising birds. He/she is going to be interesting to watch!

Back
Top Bottom