Delicate Ducks and a Mischievously Energetic Dog

LoveMagpieCalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 22, 2014
Northeast Iowa
I am getting ducklings soon, May 22 as the planned hatch date, and I would like to have them reside in an outdoor coop. The new ducklings will of course be delicate, so a very energetic dog isn't great for them. I have already taught my dog, Blaze, to sit and partially "leave it" and "eat Blaze" I tried the leave it and eat Blaze with his food, so I can teach him self control. He is a little over a year. I want to know if anyone has had this problem, I am planning to introduce Blaze to the ducklings when they are around 3-4 weeks old so they can get comfortable with each other. Anyone have experience with dogs like this one? I won't use a shock collar, or a trainer - I think if he learns the commands from me it will be easier. I need help with this one though!
idunno.gif

I have an Australian Shepherd/Golden Retriever mix who killed one of my chickens the first day we put the chickens outside. After that I did some research and then used this method:

I put her on a leash and every time she began staring at the chickens with that intense, prey-drive, I wanna chase you SO bad look, I scolded her and used the leash to direct her attention elsewhere. After three days of doing this 20-30 minutes at a time she was fine. She has never killed another chicken and that was over three years ago.

Recently we purchased a teeny tiny baby Nigerian Dwarf goat (smaller than our cat!) and I had to use the same technique because though she didn't know what a goat was she was pretty fun it'd be soooo much fun to make this small furry thing run so she could chase it. The first day I let her smell the goat scent on my hand, second day I had her sit just outside the doorway of the pen, third day I invited her in, fourth day I let them interact while she was on leash....now, three weeks later the goat thinks the dog is her mommy and climbs all over her and then lays down with her to take a nap.

The key is correcting the dog when they go into that intense "I wanna chase you!" pose or look. You have to break their attention every time. Once they learn to be around the critter without seeing it as prey then they can be trusted.

I would introduce the dog to them from the very beginning. Put them in a safe enclosure and allow the dog to sniff, but correct when gets too interested. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat lol! I plan on that method, and the other one with my 2dogs when/if I get ducklings. Of course both my dogs are older, and consider anything that comes into the house a friend - including mice :rolleyes:

As an added tip, before the first few meetings between critters take your dog for a long walk/run. If he's still full of energy, play with him until he's good and tired (obviously keeping the dog's health and safety in mind...you don't want him dead, just dead tired). When he's tuckered out, then take him to meet the new family members. The odds are he'll be too tired to do more than sniff around a bit (stay alert, of course). As long as he's gentle about the meeting, keep praising him. With any luck (and good planning) he'll be tired enough to just lay down and relax. That, of course, is the ideal outcome. It shouldn't take long for him to figure out what you want, and then you can have meetings between them with him being less tired each time.

Back
Top Bottom