Jul 26, 2017
England
Help! My chicken, Lavender, is struggling after her "mother" and "best-friend" died.

Lavender is a silkie hen, about 1 to 1 1/2 years old, laying frequently (every day).

We had an ill Rhode Island Red hen that was her "carer" in a way - they were always together. She got an impacted crop and did not make it through. Lavender used to lay by her side all the time she was ill and would not leave her for anything.
Ever since she passed, Lavender has stopped laying eggs, has lost a lot of weight, has started losing her feathers and has become very shy, timid and scared of things.
The other (older) Rhode Reds (2 of them) have a tendency to pick on her now. Her "brother" (a Malaysian Serama Rooster) will often leave her and go with the other hens.

Please share any ideas or say if you can relate and what happened.

Such a sad situation. I'd be worried about the hen suffering from whatever killed the others. Chickens do miss their flockmates but always be aware of a possible disease process and take action to take care of your birds. Sorry for your loss.

Expect egg laying to slow if not stop now do to molt. That could explain behavioral changes. You may have a health issue. What are you feeding birds? Show a photograph of birds and feces.

Lavender (and my other chickens) don't really have a time of molt and tend to loose a small amount of feathers regularly as well as laying eggs. Her comb is her normal colour as well so I think that is probably isn't a health issue but I may be wrong.

Lavender (and my other chickens) don't really have a time of molt and tend to loose a small amount of feathers regularly as well as laying eggs. Her comb is her normal colour as well so I think that is probably isn't a health issue but I may be wrong.
You need to observe you birds for molt more closely. I assure you they are or will be in molt soon. They may just be in good enough health so they do not loose feathers on a scale that many people of come to think of as normal.

Am I to late to add to this conversation? Not that I can give advice but I feel for you! It almost makes you cry when you see how bad they feel and can't share their feelings. I was only allowed 2 chickens at present and they were as close as could be. Anyhow, the neighbor dog killed one. They are both Easter eggers. The remaining one was so fearful and sad it was hard to know what to do. The dog was owned by someone who didn't live their. The poor chick just wanted to be held with her head under my arm. I left her in the house for about a month and decided a companion might be a help. Now it may have been the wrong decision. She stopped laying eggs now. She is 8mos & the new ones are about 2 1/2 months. She is motherly, even rounds then up at bedtime. Yet she still seems so sad, the dog is gone but she's still scared when she heard a noise from the neighbors. Even chases the new ones back in the fence if they get out. Did I over burden her with getting new ones that soon? I can't even catch her anymore to hold her

Am I to late to add to this conversation? Not that I can give advice but I feel for you! It almost makes you cry when you see how bad they feel and can't share their feelings. I was only allowed 2 chickens at present and they were as close as could be. Anyhow, the neighbor dog killed one. They are both Easter eggers. The remaining one was so fearful and sad it was hard to know what to do. The dog was owned by someone who didn't live their. The poor chick just wanted to be held with her head under my arm. I left her in the house for about a month and decided a companion might be a help. Now it may have been the wrong decision. She stopped laying eggs now. She is 8mos & the new ones are about 2 1/2 months. She is motherly, even rounds then up at bedtime. Yet she still seems so sad, the dog is gone but she's still scared when she heard a noise from the neighbors. Even chases the new ones back in the fence if they get out. Did I over burden her with getting new ones that soon? I can't even catch her anymore to hold her
Im in this exact situation right now and both ages of the hen and babies are the same too. It has been about 2 weeks since the attack. Did your hen get back to her normal self and start laying? If so how long did it take? Im not sure what to do. I thought the babies would keep her company but I dont think she cares much for them.

I have recently been through something similar with my polish hen. Her sister was scooped up by a hawk and she is so lonely now. I bought some younger hens that will be about the same size as her, but she isn't bonding with them. It's so sad.

Back
Top Bottom