depressed but still voracious forager

craftymelissa

In the Brooder
Feb 6, 2017
I still can't figure out what's wrong with AdaIda our 4 year old red sex link.

She was sick with anemia from mites about 3 weeks ago and seemed recovered from it, but for the last week and 1/2 hasn't been herself.

We were treating her for crop issues, but now I am not sure.

She goes from falling asleep standing up and not moving when you try to open a door to voracious foraging and getting in the way in the garden.

She has had infrequent runny watery poop. See photo.

We keep her isolated from the other 5 except 6 year old Marge who will not bully her.

I am typing one handed now as I try an epsom salt bath in my he event she is egg bound. There is a hard spot on her left outside abdomen, but we couldn't detect anything reaching in her oviduct.

Ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_5783.JPG
    IMG_5783.JPG
    893.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_5785.JPG
    IMG_5785.JPG
    363.2 KB · Views: 3
Since it's been going on for a week and a half, I don't think it's an egg problem. Any lumps or bumps are suspicious, though. Are the other chickens letting her eat? That may be why she's bugging you during gardening....

We have kept her separate during the day or sometimes with her friend Marge. The others were ready to kill her. At night she goes in a small dog kennel with the other oh a roost near her.

We started her back on regular mushy chicken food yesterday.

It seems like her appetite comes and goes except she is always wanting worms and bugs. I watched her gobble up a daddy long legs this afternoon.

I moved the kennel to a dark spot but she is more focused on preening (because I only towel dried her) then passing any egg.

Well, no eggs are a general sign of discomfort or disease... I say give her what she wants. You can buy mealworms at your most feed supply stores. They're high in protein. Can't hurt.
The watery stools might be from her come-and-go eating habits. I don't know. The lump is what concerns me. Vets aren't usually keen on chickens, but they should be able to identify if its a tumour, but that could he costly.
Also, when was the last time you wormed? This is also something that can't hurt, just to try. Animals get hard bellies when they have worms. I know you said it was on the side, but still.
Make her as comfortable as possible in her little dog crate. Feed, vitamin water, treats.

We have never worked them. Is there a product you suggest that I can find at Fleet Farm or the like?

I did wonder about worms. We have acidified copper sulfate on its way in the mail. For the crop issues. But a few places mention its usefulness for worming. Any thoughts?

She has been rather listless post spa time. Just falling asleep standing up after I let her out. With a few watery slightly white and mucusy poops. I am going to give her gentle blow dry to see if that helps and then offer some meal worms and mushy food to see if that improves her mood.

She has been active most of the earlier part of the day so being tired now is expected but falling asleep on the middle of the yard?

Falling asleep in the wide open is never a good thing. Blowdrying is probably a good idea, depending on the temp there in MN. The less stress, the better. It probably would be fine to leave her in the crate the rest of the day, as long as she's not pacing.
Wazine 17 is the stuff I use. It comes in a blue bottle at Fleet Farm.

What about peritonitis? I think her whole abdomen feels firm. I felt better with her standing up as opposed to holding her on her side like I usually do.

If you have a vet that can do a fecal float test so worms and Cocci can be ruled out, this would avoid unnecessary treatment.

The swelling/lump/firmness of the abdomen is concerning. It's possible she has something like Peritonitis. Some symptoms include - lethargy, going off feed, loose droppings that sometimes look like they have egg in the mix, swelling/bloat of the abdomen, weight loss.

There's so many things it could be, it's hard to determine the cause.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated.

She has super lethargic moments and then moments of toodling around the yard looking for bugs.

She was super lethargic this evening but perhaps stressed and tired from a epsom bath. And she was wondering around happily but slowly the first part of the day.

Do the best you can to keep her hydrated. If you have them, add some poultry vitamins to her water. If she is not eating well, you can try to see if she will take some egg or tuna along with her regular feed.

Back
Top Bottom