depressed duck after freind is gotten by something

Dorothy1324

Songster
12 Years
Jun 21, 2007
well my first question is do you all think my predetor is a fox one of my blue sweedish drakes is now gone but there are not any signs of feathers or anything for clues. my other thing is his poor friend who is also a blue sweedish drake and they were never farther then 2 feet apart is very depressed and would not come out from under the hen house for 2 days (i layed on my belly and squeezed some bread and a bowl of water in there for him)and i saw him out this morning but he went right back under wondering if you all think he might overcome this. I am so worried that he will die of a broken heart.

First off, I am very sorry for your loss.

I have experienced similar behavior from my ducks, but never had just 2 around, so your situation sounds more difficult. I think you should spend as much time as possible with your duck. He might be a combination of afraid and depressed. Your company will ease his fear and give him companionship. Even if you feel silly just hanging out with him and it doesn't seem to help, it will make a difference. My ducks were listless for several days after their dear friend was taken by a raccoon. I was depressed too and didn't want to spend time with them, but I'm pretty sure they got over it faster because I spent time with them (and pretended to be upbeat).

Not sure what predator -- maybe an avian one? Something was able to grab the duck and get away without leaving any evidence.

It was either a fox, coyote, or neighbors dog.
Dog will take their "trophy" home to show it off.

My goose still acts depressed after her 2 buddies (ducks, 1 Black Runner and 1 Heinz57) turned up missing. They also were never more than a few feet apart. Pretty sure it was neighbors 2 choclate labs that took them as they still keep trying for the goose.

Last edited:
ducks are very social. you could keep it with you or else let it bond with another pet if you don't want to get another duck. i think they get far more depressed than dogs when alone.

i agree that he is probably afraid, too. he will get over it but would be happier with a companion of some sort.

good luck. my duck is like a dog to me. i would hate to see one killed.

he is not alone i do also have 14 chickens that he is with all the time just does not seem to like them and as for a neighbor dog i dont really think that is a possibility as we live on 52 acers in about the middle. We do have 2 dogs of our own but they have never bothered the birds before as they have been taught that if they touch my babies they will be in big trouble.

I have two female ducks, they are glued together all of the time. Never more than a few inches apart from one another. The other day one of my dogs got out of the kennel - my dogs are normally fine around the ducks/chickens but I guess when unsupervised he took advantage of his freedom. He killed one hen, and apparently grabbed one of the ducks. I found that duck in the barn, huddled in a corner, one wing a little injured but she uses it so I don't think it's broken. The other duck was nowhere to be found. I was very worried, until the next morning there she was in one of the doghouses in the chicken coop. The ducks both can fly, so when they roost they are normally up on the kennel fencing, or in a tree, not on the ground in the barn or in the dog houses. Anyway this duck obviously thought her friend had been killed, because she wouldn't come out of the dog house to eat or anything, just sat in there. After checking over the injured duck, I carried her out and set her down - the other duck peeked out, brightened up and they had a wonderful happy dancing noisy reunion - very cool to see. Chickens simply don't have this kind of relationship going with each other, these ducks are best friends, I hope they don't lose one another or I'd have to go find another duck to hopefully take the lost one's place.

molly

good news i heard an ad on a local radio station this weekend that someone was giving away 4 ducks one drake and 3 girls so i went and got them three lovely mallards and one peking mallard mix well my big guy was so happy the only way i can describe it is he was in the pool with everyone else doing his man dance lol.
lol.png
lol.png
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom