Dermal inhibitor gene Id Is there a list of breeds or color patterns that have this gene anywhere?

Beautiful_Chickens

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 19, 2011
I keep seeing mention of the Id or dermal inhibitor gene, often in silkie threads or threads discussing sex linked matings and cuckoo coloration. But I'm interested in it in general and wonder if anybody knows of a list somewhere online of breeds/color patterns that have that gene. Or if it is possible for some of you knowledgeable genetics people to just off the top of your head list as many as you can think of easily, that would be a great help to me.

I apologize in advance if this has been already discussed and covered...but I have been trying to search on here on BYC for many hours and am just not having much luck at all.
thank you very much for any help from people!

I keep seeing mention of the Id or dermal inhibitor gene, often in silkie threads or threads discussing sex linked matings and cuckoo coloration. But I'm interested in it in general and wonder if anybody knows of a list somewhere online of breeds/color patterns that have that gene. Or if it is possible for some of you knowledgeable genetics people to just off the top of your head list as many as you can think of easily, that would be a great help to me.

I apologize in advance if this has been already discussed and covered...but I have been trying to search on here on BYC for many hours and am just not having much luck at all.
thank you very much for any help from people!

any breed with white or yellow shanks(white or yellow depends on the skin color)

ALL leghorns
most OEG(except, Black, mottled)
Barred rocks
Wyandottes

just to name a few...

Henk69 and nicalandia, thank you so very much! I had not realized it was so widespread. I did see mention earlier many times about shanks but had not known it was ANY breed w/ yellow or white shanks--I had assumed it was just about the particular breed in the thread or else cuckoo.

I also saw one brief mention of dominant white being somehow connected to the dermal inhibitor gene. Do dominant white birds always have the dermal inhibitor? It seems to me a white feathered bird with very black skin would be quite beautiful. Does recessive white behave differently as far as skin color?

Thanks again for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom