Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

The very kind lady that adopted Trousers to me and is now raising chicks for me from his line wrote me!
It looks as if all three black baby cochin chicks are GIRLS! Of course cochins mature more slowly, but they do appear to be pullets. Only time will tell...
But, one egg from her cochins hatched at the same time as the three black chicks. It has a broody silkie surrogate mother. It's blue, and it look slike a roo! So we may end up with a blue cochin roo. Stay tuned...

Photo of the little guy. Sure looks like a cockeral doesn't he? The black silkie is his "sister".
He's five and a half weeks old, now.
Photos courtesy of Cheryl, who is raising him!

that is definitely a roo- no tail yet and reddening comb...!

X2 looks very roo-ish to me too.

Is this a silkie-cochin cross? Love the legwarmers and extra fluff going on...
smile.png

I took these last month when Coho was being a broody. But she wasn't brooding anything-- I guess that some hens will just be broody to be broody!

Coho, the broody queen. Though she has no chicks or eggs to brood, if you even come near them, she will cut you.
When I read the "she will cut you" part, I couldn't help but think of the MadTv spoof of Bon Qui Qui and spit water everywhere...wasn't prepared for that!! hahahahah

images

Well, obviously phantom chicks are a family trait... LOL

Hope all works out for you with that new guy.

Mareks has hit my incubator group of birds. It hasn't hit any of my flock that are laid and then hatched here, but it did hit my incubator flock. Lost 5 pullets. Have only one pullet left and two boys from that group. The ones that I sold, I warned the new owners of the possiblity, and all 6 of those birds are just fine, growing well. It's so sad to have happen though. Apparently though, being here in the woods, with the wild turkeys always through the yard has done some great good for my flock. And the survivors of the disease, are apparently (HOPE!) more resistant to it.

X2 looks very roo-ish to me too.

Is this a silkie-cochin cross? Love the legwarmers and extra fluff going on...
smile.png

No, he's all cochin! The silkie in the photos with him, I cannot say. I don't know much about silkies.

Well, obviously phantom chicks are a family trait... LOL

Hope all works out for you with that new guy.

Mareks has hit my incubator group of birds. It hasn't hit any of my flock that are laid and then hatched here, but it did hit my incubator flock. Lost 5 pullets. Have only one pullet left and two boys from that group. The ones that I sold, I warned the new owners of the possiblity, and all 6 of those birds are just fine, growing well. It's so sad to have happen though. Apparently though, being here in the woods, with the wild turkeys always through the yard has done some great good for my flock. And the survivors of the disease, are apparently (HOPE!) more resistant to it.

Agh, what a bummer. I'm sorry for your loss.

Nambroth, is the young black cochin cockerel vaccinated though against Marek's ? I know those three cochin chicks were, but is the lady vaccinating all chicks born this summer against Marek's ?

Nambroth, is the young black cochin cockerel vaccinated though against Marek's ? I know those three cochin chicks were, but is the lady vaccinating all chicks born this summer against Marek's ?

Yes, he sure is! I wouldn't bring an unvaccinated bird onto my property again. I also sent her a second round of Marek's vaccine this week because a new study was released that suggests it helps promote a stronger resistance.

Back
Top Bottom