Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

Oh my goodness! Okay!! I honestly didn't realize so many people still read. I will make sure to post more Derp stories soon. :) They will be a bit boring.. winter is slow, but I'll get some photos and stories for you.

I just found this thread last night. I've been sneaking time to read it since then. I'm halfway through and love it. Your writing style is great and I love hearing about your chickens' interactions with their world.

GUESS WHAT!!? YOU'LL NEVER GUESS WHAT!!

I have a lone faverolle egg pipping! Right now! Pipping! RIGHT NOW!!

Sad part... A few days ago, Skatter, the incubator, was in the coop.. I don't move until a day before hatching to a broody coop, or section off. Well, I have a few boys in need of outfitting for camp and they got into in the coop. Feathers everywhere. Looks like one may have decided that Skatter was a prospective honey and went in the nest. Eggs were trampled. Eggs were broken. 3 days before hatch... Not happy. One egg survived. I have never had that happen before. EVER in the year and a half that my hens have been brooding eggs. I only move just before hatching so mom can hatch the chicks in peace, and then they go back to the coop with in a week normally. Mom's choice, not mine, and she raises them with the rest of the flock. Yes, even in January/February.... Well anyway, went and got some chicks that were a day old from Townline, just pulled in, walked in and asked what they had just hatched... Got to Ameracaunas and 2 Amberlinks. I did not want one lonely faverolle pullet/cockerel...

Here are the prospective siblings at 1 day old...they are 2 days today. LOL. duh... Waiting very noisily until dark to be slipped under Skatter. When I took them out to the garage, she, Skatter, became very interested and concerned with all the noise they were making. I put one of the ambers under her, and she went absolutely batty. Attack mode was in serious effect. I have bruises to prove it. She shoved those chicks under her and settled over them, started making the mama cluck cluck soothing noises and the chicks were very happy... As soon as I can, I will post mama and her new Babies...

This is the demon mom with one of her last boys...

I was pondering which picture, or maybe the drawing, would make the best shirt. Can't decide. Maybe you should put up a poll! Then I started thinking the shirt should have a saying on it. The first thing that came to mind was: "When life gives you lemons, stare at them."
lau.gif
I really like the drawing of the chick with the qtip sticking out and that would make an awesome shirt. Just needs a witty saying.

Back
Top Bottom