Derperella, the (weird) Faverolles, & Friends

NOOOOOOO!!! We can't wait that long......pictures of the paintings now please.....
wink.png
fl.gif
hide.gif

They're the pictures in my avatar, Froggie, so you can get a good idea of the superbness of Nambroth's wonderful talent if you look at the uploaded photo. I have a really neat idea for how I want them framed, but it is going to have to wait a week or so, as I am a bit overwhelmed at work at the moment. (I'm on the panel to select the subjects for the hotel and catering English exams, which is happening this week, and I am organising a trip to London with one of my classes - only 6 weeks to go and I'm starting to panic!)
I really want to do them justice, so I'm going to take my time and do it right!

Last edited:
Willow follows Millie.
Willow preens Millie.
Willow crawls uncomfortably under Millie at any opportunity.
Mildred, bless her cushion, tolerates this with all the kindness of a matronly pillow. “Oh, you are under me again. Well, that’s okay. My floof is here for you, dear one.”
It's such a funny photo. Willow wants Millie to adopt her.

Has Willow reverted back to childhood (or chickhood)? She looks just like my chicks did when they got too big to hide under their mum properly! Millie is so lovely to let her do that and not get annoyed
love.gif

The Baron continues to improve. We take him outdoors with the girls when they do their supervised free range, and he is very excited by them. He chats and woos and does a little dance. No one is interested in him, poor fellow. Moa, the boss hen, downright dislikes him. How DARE he try to put the moves on any of the girls under HER care! NOT ACCEPTABLE.
She will chase him off, but he can't run very well so he ends up getting a bit panicked. That's when I have to step in.
This morning, as a test, I put him in the coop while I was out there. Everything was very nice; actually, he and the Lorp were being very cute and were wooing one another before she went into the box to lay her egg. The problem is big ole' mean boss Moa just won't have it. She will chase him, and he freaks out, and leaps up onto the roost (it is low). The problem is, he doesn't have enough strength or coordination to get back down again! If I left him outside he'd end up sitting up there all day and not eating or drinking... or moving his legs. Not good.
I am glad that Moa is protective and matronly of the other girls-- she should be, and it's a fine thing-- at the same time, the situation is not good for the Baron. The only thing I can think of doing is perhaps bringing Moa indoors, away from the flock, while the Baron re-acclimates to them. I hate to disrupt her top position but I can't have her harassing him so horribly. He moves around so much more outdoors with the girls, I think that it will be the best physical therapy I can give him. Indoors, he is a bit lazy unless I make him get up and walk around, which he is fine at now, though a bit stiff.
I think you may be right to take Moa away from the flock for a bit in order to let the Baron recuperate more quickly. It would be so much better for him, and it wouldn't do Moa any harm to be taken down a peg or two. I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem for her to re-establish herself when she comes back again - certainly not as difficult as it is for the Baron at the moment. It seems as if you are going to swap one house chicken for another!

A few photos! Yesterday was decent enough to go outside for a bit with the ladies, and the Baron. The Lorp's fantastic feathers were catching the sun as she jumped into the Fud Lady's lap. What did the Lorp want? Only the Evil Queen herself knows, as it wasn't treats, and it certainly wasn't that she wanted to be touched! She strutted back and forth, as if to bathe the Fud Lady in her resplendence, before hopping down again. Willow follows Millie. Willow preens Millie. Willow crawls uncomfortably under Millie at any opportunity. Mildred, bless her cushion, tolerates this with all the kindness of a matronly pillow. “Oh, you are under me again. Well, that’s okay. My floof is here for you, dear one.” Derp is derping right along. I didn't get any good photos of her, as she was buried into my chest most of the afternoon, having a snooze. The Baron continues to improve. We take him outdoors with the girls when they do their supervised free range, and he is very excited by them. He chats and woos and does a little dance. No one is interested in him, poor fellow. Moa, the boss hen, downright dislikes him. How DARE he try to put the moves on any of the girls under HER care! NOT ACCEPTABLE. She will chase him off, but he can't run very well so he ends up getting a bit panicked. That's when I have to step in. This morning, as a test, I put him in the coop while I was out there. Everything was very nice; actually, he and the Lorp were being very cute and were wooing one another before she went into the box to lay her egg. The problem is big ole' mean boss Moa just won't have it. She will chase him, and he freaks out, and leaps up onto the roost (it is low). The problem is, he doesn't have enough strength or coordination to get back down again! If I left him outside he'd end up sitting up there all day and not eating or drinking... or moving his legs. Not good. I am glad that Moa is protective and matronly of the other girls-- she should be, and it's a fine thing-- at the same time, the situation is not good for the Baron. The only thing I can think of doing is perhaps bringing Moa indoors, away from the flock, while the Baron re-acclimates to them. I hate to disrupt her top position but I can't have her harassing him so horribly. He moves around so much more outdoors with the girls, I think that it will be the best physical therapy I can give him. Indoors, he is a bit lazy unless I make him get up and walk around, which he is fine at now, though a bit stiff.
:ya :love :cd :woot Naughty Moa, I agree she needs a little jail time so The Baron can start claiming his kingdom back... :yesss:

Yes, Moa needs a good' time out.' Willow sounds so much like another one of your hens, I have to ask - if you think she "caught" the 'derp bug' that must be going around?

Has Willow reverted back to childhood (or chickhood)? She looks just like my chicks did when they got too big to hide under their mum properly! Millie is so lovely to let her do that and not get annoyed
love.gif

Nah, Willow is just very fond of the chickens she gets close to. She used to do this with Trousers, Panic Pants, and the Baron before he got sick too.

I think you may be right to take Moa away from the flock for a bit in order to let the Baron recuperate more quickly. It would be so much better for him, and it wouldn't do Moa any harm to be taken down a peg or two. I'm sure it won't be too much of a problem for her to re-establish herself when she comes back again - certainly not as difficult as it is for the Baron at the moment. It seems as if you are going to swap one house chicken for another!

Erk-- yeah, and I don't think this house chicken will be so polite as to stay on the towels like the Baron does! Hopefully she will only need to be in here for a few days. I anticipate drama for egg laying time, as she really insists on only laying in nest boxes, thank you very much!

Yes, Moa needs a good' time out.' Willow sounds so much like another one of your hens, I have to ask - if you think she "caught" the 'derp bug' that must be going around?

Not quite! Willow is a pretty smart hen and independent. She just really, really likes Mildred!

Back
Top Bottom