Designing a rabbitry, I have some questions.

Wolf-Kim

Songster
11 Years
12 Years
Jan 25, 2008
Well, now that I've had my buns for a couple of months, I realize my current system is flawed and I want it better. So, I've been brainstorming. I want a system design that is comfortable, efficient, and easy to use. One of my current cages opens inwards, at first I loved it, now I hate it. So I want doors that swing out. The wooden rack that holds my cages now, collects food, poo, and hay in the cage, that has to cage.

I would like stacked cages, 3 high. Don't care for the 4 high, I don't want to have to stand on a stepladder to deal with the top row. After seeing some of chinbunnies cages, I believe I will make my cages. I have a feedstore I pass that has literally all kinds of wire you could want and for very reasonable prices. I would like an automatic watering system, this dunking water bottles into a 5 gallon bucket is for the birds. I am familiar with working with tubing, I have an auto-waterer for my caged birds. I just can't seem to find the nozzles for an auto watering system for rabbits. Anyone want to point me in the right direction?

Another question. I have seen stacked cages with and without drop pans. What's the info on this? Since I run worm bins, it'd be nice to have all the poo land underneath and I can shovel it from there, into the worm bins. I figured if it was that easy then everyone would ditch the drop pans and opt for stacked cages that allowed the poo to drop all the way through. Then I got to thinking about it, and while rabbit poo is quite tolerable and not exactly all that messy, their urine is a whole other story.

A third point of discussion. Urine guards. I've heard many different opinions on these. I thought it'd just be easier to cover my wooden walls with plastic sheeting or some other easily washed material(plexiglass, etc). Any suggestions?

Feeders, I plan on just large metal J feeders. We had a couple of medium ones now and a large. Definately in favor of the larger!

Hay, I just pin in the door or put in the cage completely. I've seen the hay racks, but they just seem like a waste of money(IMO!). I'd rather spend my money elsewhere, am I right?

Extracurricular.. Hehe.. While I know rabbits do well in cages, I can't help but feel for their boredom. Any good "toy" suggestions? I currently let them in an outdoor pen under immediate supervision, but I only have so much time I can sit by the bunny pen and watch them. They only get to go out every few days, I'd like to get them something to play with in the cage.

If I remember one of the many things rolling around in my head, I'll add it later.
smile.png

Quote:
Have you looked here?:

www.bassequipment.com/

Yes and I found the kit, but I don't want the kit, I want just the nozzle that goes into the cage. Maybe I just don't know what it looks like(I assume it would look similar to the metal nozzles like the bottle waterers) and they are calling it by something that is throwing me off. I went through their auto watering links several times and still haven't found what I expect it to be called or looks like. Do they have it? If so, what are they calling it? Because I thought for sure they'd have it, and I've bet I've even looked at it, but I'm not sure.

I appreciate it.
smile.png

Well here's my take on things...

Cages - with stacked cages I use drop pans. Otherwise they need something so the bunny on top won't "go" on the ones on the bottom. Usually hanging cages don't have drop pans and just go on the floor. I personally use drop pans and clean them weekly. If you keep up on them they aren't too bad.

Urine guards - I use them. No only do they help with those bad boys, they double as "baby savers" in the does pens. I have plastic on my walls but also use the guards. I just pick a few up at shows and replace them as needed.

J feeders - these depend on the breed of rabbit. I personally don't use them, they rub off the fur from my rabbits necks and I control the amount my bunny's get fed.

Hay - I use racks that go on the outside of the cage. The problem with just putting hay in the cage, they waste more than they eat.

Toys- I use empty toilet paper rolls - they love to throw them around the cage and they are free.

Back
Top Bottom