Designing a tolbunt colour from polish

Taneile

In the Brooder
Dec 2, 2016
Ok here's a tricky one for you awesome people. Now since living in New Zealand I have admired the Tolbunt breed but sadly over here we don't have them nor can we import eggs from overseas. Now I am on a determined long process to come up with something very similar in the Polish. However the only colours we have over here are white, blue, blacks, splash, and crested in those colours. There are only a small underground selection of breeders in NZ that have cuckoo and trying to develop gold and silver laced Polish but they would never sell their work of arts until they had their lines fully established. Now what I'm asking is what breeds and colours would I start off with the start my journey with creating tolbunts? Would I use a Houdan crossed with a spangled Pekin bantam or a Houdan x with a gold or silver laced seabright?

K

In my profile picture is a hen I brought who I have no idea who they we're. But she is probably the closest there is on NZ. But all my flock had to be culled as I had a hen come in that carried Coryza and it was a nightmare to control and keep killing my beautiful chicks and infecting newer chicks and pullets so sadly had to make a very hard decision :(

To replicate the breed, or get pretty close to it, you have to decide what features specifically are most important. Is it the crest and coloring? Do you want a clean legged bird (feathered legs are dominant)? White skin or yellow? Muffs and bearded? Do you really want 5 toes (that's another dominant trait)?
Crossing Polish hens (any color) with Speckled Sussex rooster would get you off to the best start if you really want to keep as close to the Polish standard as possible, and reduce the amount of traits to breed out. You'll need quite a few hens to start with, as their offspring will be your foundation stock. The more hens you hatch from, the more genetic diversity your lines will have. Genetic diversity is important for the line breeding that will be required.
The mottling gene is recessive, so no first generation chicks will express it, but they will all carry a copy for it. They will all carry a copy of the right patterning genes, from the sussex as well, though you may want to try and select away from the Mahogany. After you've hatched out your Polish/Sussex crosses, you'll have to pair the half-siblings up. Choose the cockerels with the best overall type and divide the pullets up between them. This is the point where you need to hatch a bunch, and start to get really selective of who you keep for future breeding. About half the resulting chicks will have the mottling, but they may not have the right pattern genes. Some will have full crests, some will have partial crests, and some will have none. With some careful selection, you can get pretty close to your goal of a Tolbunt Polish. It will take years, though.

Ok here's a tricky one for you awesome people. Now since living in New Zealand I have admired the Tolbunt breed but sadly over here we don't have them nor can we import eggs from overseas. Now I am on a determined long process to come up with something very similar in the Polish. However the only colours we have over here are white, blue, blacks, splash, and crested in those colours. There are only a small underground selection of breeders in NZ that have cuckoo and trying to develop gold and silver laced Polish but they would never sell their work of arts until they had their lines fully established. Now what I'm asking is what breeds and colours would I start off with the start my journey with creating tolbunts? Would I use a Houdan crossed with a spangled Pekin bantam or a Houdan x with a gold or silver laced seabright?

K
If I were you I would make a tolbount colored houdan. Use the Houdan (mottled would be great) and spangled pekin if you have them. The spangled (not true spangling) pekin needs to be red with white spangles.

What awesome advice everyone (even the smuggling of eggs
1f602.png
) Yes we get spangled Perkins here, as well as Mills Fleurs if they would also be useful?

Mille Fleur is a color variety not a breed and exists in several breeds the best know being the D'Uccle and Booted bantams. Are you trying to make bantam or large Tolbunt Polish?
I would use a breed that most closely matches the polish in type. If I were trying this I would use gold laced polish and mottled houdans and hatch lots and cull hard until you achieve your desired results.

Ok so in that case since not having gold lace polish (only a selected few have it) would you use a lace seabright crossed with mottled pekin? Would love both bantam and tolbunt polish, maybe even try for the both at some time :)

Back
Top Bottom