Designing and Building my Fisrt Coop and run, in So. Cal.

20171214_211619.jpg

This is from Dec. 14. Pretty much finished at this point. Still needs shavings for the coop, DLM style. Somewhere here on BYC I spied a thread about using fallen leaves inside the run. What a great idea! And perfect timing too. I hauled in load after load of leaf litter, the piles were knee deep at the top. I thought that leaf litter would deeply blanket the run through the winter. After 2 weeks of chickens, you'd never guess. But the chickens had fun.

Wait! Did I say chickens? Yes I did! I have 10! I built a waterer with horizontal chicken nipples, and a 5 gal bucket feeder. The girls have learned to use everything and so far everything is good.

I thought that leaf litter would deeply blanket the run through the winter. After 2 weeks of chickens, you'd never guess.
Nice coop and run.
6x6 may be a bit small for 10 birds, predator proof run will help.

Leaves are good (they do disappear fast don't they?!)but best mixed with other carbons.
A good mix of size, shape, and types(some break down quick-like leaves, some last much longer like ramial wood chippings-from tree trimmers).
Too much of any one thing, especially the softer stuff, can lead to a slimy mass of anaerobic toxins. Just keep adding various dry plant matter a bit at time and keep an eye out for gunk.

Nice coop and run.
6x6 may be a bit small for 10 birds, predator proof run will help.

Leaves are good (they do disappear fast don't they?!)but best mixed with other carbons.
A good mix of size, shape, and types(some break down quick-like leaves, some last much longer like ramial wood chippings-from tree trimmers).
Too much of any one thing, especially the softer stuff, can lead to a slimy mass of anaerobic toxins. Just keep adding various dry plant matter a bit at time and keep an eye out for gunk.
Thanks for the feedback on the leaves, aart. Tree chippings aren't hard to come by around here, and I can get them for free. Or, I can rent a chipper/shredder and chip my own, plenty of material around here.

The entire enclosed area is 12x12, with a 6x6 henhouse. The chickens are only closed into the henhouse at night. I built to be predator proof, but of course until it actually is tested, who knows? I did build keeping in mind the bobcat, coyote, hawk, owl, racoon, weasel, skunk, opposum known to live around here. Not so sure it would withstand a mountain lion, but they are extremely rare visitors.

Back
Top Bottom