Designing new coop, need advice

(Dad on Ro's account)

Update for anyone watching:

We've been busy. Spent the last 3 weeks building a coop/run combo (~360 sq ft.). I met a local chicken owner at TSC who helped me better understand our climate for chickens (tl;dr is they don't need much shelter out here). Here's what we've built so far (brooding box to come soon).

Digging the hole to cement in a metal pole for stability
signal-2024-03-11-191931_002.jpeg

Progress
signal-2024-03-11-191931_004.jpeg

Securing the "roof" of welded wire
signal-2024-03-11-191931_005.jpeg

Added a quick and easy straw bale shelter
signal-2024-03-11-191931_006.jpeg

Little sister and mom hanging out with the girls
signal-2024-03-11-191931_007.jpeg

Time for a nap
signal-2024-03-11-145830_002.jpeg

Older pic of our RI red, "Karen" ...just because she's the cutest
signal-2024-03-11-191931_003.jpeg

Last edited:
(Dad on Ro's account)

Update for anyone watching:

We've been busy. Spent the last 3 weeks building a coop/run combo (~360 sq ft.). I met a local chicken owner at TSC who helped me better understand our climate for chickens (tl;dr is they don't need much shelter out here). Here's what we've built so far (brooding box to come soon).

Digging the hole to cement in a metal pole for stability
View attachment 3769718

Progress
View attachment 3769716

Securing the "roof" of welded wire
View attachment 3769715

Added a quick and easy straw bale shelter
View attachment 3769714

Little sister and mom hanging out with the girls
View attachment 3769713

Time for a nap
View attachment 3769712

Older pic of our RI red, "Karen" ...just because she's the cutest
View attachment 3769717
Looking good!

Hey everyone! My name is Ronon. I'm a teenager. I'm excited to start raising chickens.

My yard is full of grass, but my parents let me give half of the yard to my chickens...about 500 sqft. My Dad is going to help my fence it in and cover it with hardware cloth. We live in Albuquerque, NM and it is a dry climate with summers getting up to the low 100s and winters being in the high 20s at night.

We're going to be getting 6 baby chicks this Monday from Tractor Supply:celebrate

I want to build my own coop, but the designs I found were too complex so I designed my own on paper. I asked my Dad for help and he helped me design it in a CAD program. I wanted a simple and efficient design that was easier to build. I don't know if this will work, so I'm asking you for advice.

The coop is 5' wide, 5' long, and 5.5' tall.

My Dad sent me these pictures of the design.....

The green things are my Dad's attempt at making chickens. The wide open doors will close and become a wall.
View attachment 3749352

That hole in the floor will have hardware cloth covering it. It's where the chickens will poop when they're asleep and it allows better airflow. My Dad says we could cover it in the winter with straw to help insulate it better. He also said he'd buy me a infrared heater if we need it.
View attachment 3749354

This shows the door to open to get the eggs.
View attachment 3749355

As you can see in this picture, I went for a sort of vertical roosting. I decided to put a divider wall between the chickens roosting and the place where they lay the eggs to give them more privacy.
View attachment 3749356

Top down view of everything.
View attachment 3749358

Is there anything wrong with the hole in the floor?
Is this simple design okay or do I need to start over?
The first thing I would suggest is making more floor space and the whole thing a bit bigger. Second, you're assuming the chickens will all face toward the nesting boxes, but the top ones can easily end up pooping all over the bottom ones and the bottom ones can poop all over the solid floor if they turn around...so more space between the roosting poles and a bigger floor opening (you said wired in then solid in the winter which is good). Also you can assume you will have at least one rebellious hen that will try to roost on your little wall...honestly I would nix the wall...they will lay during the day and roost at night...so privacy shouldn't be an issue...it looks good but just needs more size. Also, use either tin or shingles on the roof and make sure you have a few inches or more of overhang/drip edge which will help keep thing dry/shaded in the Summer. If possible, I would insulate the roof and use a thin plywood or something under that to keep them from pecking either rigid insulation or the floofy kind. Will you ever need to feed/water them inside? If so I would advise a separate little "room" to keep the dust and debris away from their feeding area. Great job asking for suggestions before you build! You'll find other ideas as you go along too...

Back
Top Bottom