My coop design and build blog

Its spring, it rained last night and i sick of the mud around the new coop and run so Im doing something about it.

Where the coop and run sit, was a huge pile of dirt just 8 months ago since we were excavating for another building on the homestead. Our soil is clay and rock and when it gets wet, its slime.

The other problem was the grading, It pitched toward the run. I got to play on the tractor all day to begin to fix this problem.
dirt1.jpg
dirt1a.jpg
dirt2.jpg
dirt3.jpg
dirt4.jpg
dirt5.jpg
dirt6.jpg
dirt7.jpg
dirt8.jpg
dirt9.jpg
dirt91.jpg
dirt92.jpg
dirt93.jpg

part of our homesteading / preparedness journey is growing stuff like a huge garden and the chickens. Part of that plan is to plant 5 apple trees between the coop and the garden.The apple trees I ordered, arrived today.

After spreading more pea gravel around the coop and run, I thought I would try my hand at using the backhoe feature on this new tractor. This ground is nothing but clay and rock. Im done digging holes with a shovel now that I have this thing.

I went down 4 feet. I will fill the hole with a mixture of sand and garden soil to plant the trees in. I dont think the roots would have taken well in the native soil. This is why our garden is a raised bed garden that we filled with a soil that will grow great food.
apple0.jpg
apple1.jpg
apple2.jpg
apple2a.jpg
apple3.jpg
apple4.jpg

After watching the nearly 3 week old chicks dusting themselves in the wood chips, I made them a dust bath using, sand from the driveway, Peat moss that we use in our raised bed garden, and ashes from our wood stove.

I sifted them all, mixed them and put it in an old 9 x 13 cake pan and put it in the brooder. They knew what to do next.

IMG_8064.JPG
IMG_8065.JPG
IMG_8072.JPG
IMG_8074.JPG

It was a rainy afternoon here so I worked on perimeter security for the birds. My main predators will be members of the weasel family (with ermine being the most likely of all), coon, fox, skunk, after that, its coyote, bobcat, feral cat, possum, Lastly wolf and bear (but far less likely)

I built 3 weasel boxes to add to my assortment of "predator deterrents". There are a few additional tools in my tool box for preventing vermin from eating my birds. I wont discuss those here. These will be deployed in advance of putting the birds in the coop/run. I think it sends a message that these birds are not for you. Tell your friends................. Oh wait, you cant because you are......................... ;-)

trap1.jpg
trap2.jpg
trap3.jpg
trap4.jpg

The most likely day time killer of our chickens will be an Ermine. We have seen them near the coop already. I spent some time today closing holes that vermin would squeeze through. Then I secured the bottom of the sun shade cloth in a manner that wont get damaged by snow plowing along the run.View attachment 3794899View attachment 3794900View attachment 3794901View attachment 3794902View attachment 3794903View attachment 3794904View attachment 3794905View attachment 3794906View attachment 3794907
Oh that is a very clever solve.
Thanks for sharing.

I held off on using wood shaving under the chicks in the brooder but now they are over 2 weeks old so we added wood shavings. Under normal circumstances, this means a feeder and waterer full of pine shavings and a real mess because these little buggers kick and scratch and throw shavings everywhere..

To avoid this I built an elevated mesh platform so no shavings can be scratched or kicked into the food/water. Its been 8 hours and its working as expected.

The water looks orange because of the probiotic and electrolyte packets I mix with their water.

View attachment 3795939View attachment 3795940View attachment 3795941View attachment 3795942View attachment 3795943

View attachment 3796073
Brilliant idea. I love this. I actually hang mine and give them little blocks to stand on to eat/drink and that seems to work pretty well too.

Back
Top Bottom