Desperate for advice...

Erin7738

In the Brooder
Jul 29, 2016
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have four chickens. Been getting 3-4 eggs daily even thru the winter. I get a small white egg, a large white egg, a light brown egg and a dark brown egg. This last week I'm having issues with my hen laying the dark brown egg. Three days in a row I'd find yolk on the three other eggs. Other days that hen just didn't lay. I can't remember when the last time I got an egg from her... it's got to be close to a week if not longer now.
First I thought she was cracking her egg and eating it all. But, now I'm worried it's just coming out yolk..... is that even possible?? I see ZERO evidence of a shell. (I get it might have all been eaten by the time I find the smeared yolk.)
Help!! I'd love any advice!!
The one thing I should point out it all four girls have lost feathers on their bottoms... I don't see any evidence of mites/lice. Appears the feathers are all coming back in nicely now. They all appear healthy other than that.
Thank you all!!!

Feathering could be do to molting,or maybe they had a fluke era where they picked on eachother.

Laying just egg yolk,is sooo many weird things that happen when chickens lay.How old are they?

I was hoping the missing feathers were molting too.
All four hens are now about 1year old. So are you saying maybe the one is possibly just laying a yolk for a few days in a row?? If that is the case is that an indication of health issues?? I hope not!!
I sure hope I see a dark brown egg soon!! I worry about my girls!!!!

An eaten egg will often only leave a wet spot as evidence, they eat the rest including the shell.
Eaten eggs are often thin shelled, so easily broken and fair game for eating IMO.

You'll have to be vigilant to grab that egg before it is eaten to see if it is a thin shell....
.....confining that hen to a crate for a day or two may make that easier.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/foldable-wire-dog-crates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer

If only one hen in a flock is laying defective eggs, it is likely that single hens problem and not a diet problem.
But always good to review your feeding regime and adjust if necessary.
What and how exactly are you feeding?

I have a thin shell layer, it makes a mess of the nests....it comes and goes, thinking it has to do with stress as well as an ineffective shelling gland.

Bare butts are often due to feather picking by other breeds as they seek to add a higher and animal source protein.
Molting is not confined to butts, nor does it start there, as it can be confined to necks.

Back
Top Bottom