Despite lots of ventilation…frostbite. Now what?

I think I grasp what you've done. You cut squares in ceiling and covered with hard wire to vent out the floating roof line.

Now what happens is North wind pushes into the high end of roof line and down those openings in the ceiling. Now you are closing off some of the ceiling openings.

You should limiting the wind access to the roof. Looks like you have a long overhang. Plywood that to two inches to your fascia board. That two inch opening is far more than you even need.

The gig with frostbite is your birds with largest combs will get tips of comb frosted in cold weather. If you are experiencing it now in November then you obviously need to fix your venting set up.

You should limiting the wind access to the roof. Looks like you have a long overhang. Plywood that to two inches to your fascia board. That two inch opening is far more than you even need.
I don’t understand what you mean by plywood to 2 in facia. Are you saying create a 2 inch baffle by nailing plywood down from the overhang?

No, I was saying to box in that overhang all the wind is pushing into. Leave 2 inches open at the end to vent. You know, where your fascia board is, two inches from that toward the coop is open. The rest is covered with plywood or a quick fix of plastic.

But yeah, I suppose a baffle would work too if done right.

No, I was saying to box in that overhang all the wind is pushing into. Leave 2 inches open at the end to vent. You know, where your fascia board is, two inches from that toward the coop is open. The rest is covered with plywood or a quick fix of plastic.

But yeah, I suppose a baffle would work too if done right.
Ok, I see what you mean now. makes sense. thanks for the advice. 😊

You could close all the openings on three sides and replace the wall on one short side with hardware cloth.

:oops: ,

it does work, though. I want to help and don't know what else works
That is a really good idea, thank you. Unfortunately my coop is a one- piece fiberglass building so taking a wall down isn’t a viable option. Maybe a 3-sider on my next build, tho 😊

Thank you. Good idea to place one in coop and run!! These seem better than what I ordered. The product specs show the unit’s size comparable to a large chicken egg.. so it’s meant to be.
We use this hygrometer to get peace of mind of the coop/run temperature and humidity condition, works really well.

One unit in the coop, one unit in the covered and mostly wrapped run for comparison. The run condition is close to the outdoor natural condition, so we can compare.

https://smile.amazon.com/ThermoPro-Bluetooth-Hygrometer-Thermometer-Greenhouse/dp/B08LKCLFR6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1U0DL10MAEG6W&keywords=thermopro+indoor/outdoor+humidity+&+temperature+monitor.+tp357&qid=1668872464&sprefix=thermpro+indoor/outdoor+humidity+&+temprature+monitor.+tp357,aps,73&sr=8-1
That only goes down to -4°F

Back
Top Bottom