desqualking guineas?

Any body ever ask a vet. about fixing a guinea so it couldn't squalk so loud?

Why did you get Guineas in the first place? I have heard of people trying to have their roosters de Doodle dooed.... if it could be done it would be a very expensive operation.

So does your Guinea Buckwheat or just squawk. The females make a sound like Buck Wheat. They NEVER stop.... or rarely stop. The males will squawk just when they are alarmed over something. Unfortunately they are like walking burglar alarms....

If you have one and you are in the city best be looking for a new home for him. or her.
deb

Have 17-both males and females could love them all if they didn't squalk all the time but will proably get reid of them because of their squalking this fall. They squalk loudest when I feed or tend them. at about 100 db- is what I've read- that can cause hearing damage. This sounds extreme and expensive but would like to keep them if they didn't squalk all the time -like some dogs that bark to much. My chickens and other birds are so much easier going. I guess I want the frosting too. What is de doodle dooed? Crowing? ps If I think of it next time I see my vet. I'm going to ask.

If you get wild type guinea fowl (vs domestic types) not only are the whole range of sounds quieter but unless there is something right in front of them they are usually silent. I've said this in other posts, if your loud and draw attention to yourself in the wild, you get eaten!

There are several wild types available, crested, vulturine, and if you like helmeted guineas then look for Reichenow's guinea fowl. The major drawback is price, the cheapest are the Reichenow's at $400-$500 per pair and crested and vulturine guineas are both over $1000 per pair.

Last edited:
Have 17-both males and females could love them all if they didn't squalk all the time but will proably get reid of them because of their squalking this fall. They squalk loudest when I feed or tend them. at about 100 db- is what I've read- that can cause hearing damage. This sounds extreme and expensive but would like to keep them if they didn't squalk all the time -like some dogs that bark to much. My chickens and other birds are so much easier going. I guess I want the frosting too. What is de doodle dooed? Crowing? ps If I think of it next time I see my vet. I'm going to ask.

I was trying to be silly.... But What I ment was surgically making a rooster so they cant crow.

17 is a big flock. If you can make a whistle coming from just your tongue up against the roof of your mouth... Its a soft whistle. It will shut just about any bird up in order to listen.

I had forty. And Yep it does get loud. But I enjoyed them immensely. The reasons I had them were many. I wanted them for eggs, meat, Keets to sell, Adult birds to sell... Also because I live near the Mexican border they are excellent people alarms. Having Guineas with your regular poultry tends to help keep the larger predators at bay. My first flock of Guineas chased off Coyotes (as a flock). Though Coyotes did pick them all off one by one.

They also killed and ate Scorpions, Rattle snakes, Mice and Ticks.

deb

philter4----- thanks for the info.- interesting but a little pricey for me./////
deb------also thanks -I sell some also-the main reason for me getting them babys sell well as do my turkens.
Had a really good hunting dog once that had a abscess on it's neck I took it to the vet. He said as I remember (this was about 30 years ago ) little he could do other than put him down or operate which would cost a lot -well how much was a lot- well quite a bit. - well how much about are you talking about whats quite a bit-well proably $50.-I said well lets do it. --after all his talking about a lot I was expecting like a $1000 or so but that dog was worth was worth way more than $50 to me.. Don't know maybe he gave me a brake.

Back
Top Bottom