Destined to be a house chicken?

fzouk

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
middle Tennessee
I have a little Delaware who's 5 weeks old now. She's got these tiny legs, like half the normal length and her body has always been small. Not proportionally small though- her legs are definitely odd. In the move from house (brooder) to coop the others were thrilled but this one became really weak so I brought her back into the house and set her back up in the brooder. She's much better now and can walk around pretty well in the brooder (I made it comically large by accident but turns out it's been great!) but I doubt she could really defend herself back in with the other 29 chicks. She's become REALLY friendly with all the handling and I guess culling is always an option but I just don't have the heart to do it. Not now, anyway. I'm just trying to think of options for this sweet little chick- obviously I've gotten really attached to her, bringing her back from death's door and having her in the house with me. I stay at home with my young daughter and she (the chick) seems to enjoy the company. I just don't know what to do! Except for her tiny legs and small size she seems perfectly healthy!

Thank you for reading and helping me think about this!

Oh, don't cull her, particularly if she is otherwise healthy. It certainly sounds like she's well and happy! Make her a house chicken. You know, if you need them, you can buy chicken diapers (made especially for housepet chickens)!
smile.png

Hee hee I had kind of wondered about chicken diapers! I have to admit I thought it was kind of a silly idea the first time I heard about them... but now it sounds kind of cool! I bet this girl will always be tiny- wouldn't that be cute to have her in the house? Not sure if husband will go along with it but if I just use my allowance money -we're on Dave Ramsey so my allowance is MINE and he can't say anything about how I spend it!
big_smile.png
- and just get some... and just kind of turn her loose we can see how it goes, maybe! I'll have to search around for house chicken stories and see how others do it. Thanks for the encouragement!
big_smile.png
I didn't want to name her before because I really didn't expect her to live but now she's doing great, thank goodness!

I saw a special called "The History of the Chicken" which wasnt so much a history, but a story about people and their chickens. There was a lady with a silkie who kept it in the house. She bathed and blowdried it and had special stuff for it and all. It was really cute
smile.png
She used the chicken diapers. Its not the species of the pet, but the potential for companionship that matters.

Quote:
I love this! Yes! I honestly had never thought about a chicken in the house but this chick seems like an ideal candidate. I'd like to see that special you mentioned too. I think her name will be "Stuffy" after one of Harpo Marx's characters in one of their movies. (A Day At the Races?) I just love them and this chick is sweet like Harpo.
smile.png

Yes! If your husband will let you, DEFINITELY keep a house chicken! I have always wanted one, but I'm not allowed.

Quote:
Can I put this in my siggy (of course with it qouted by you)?

Back
Top Bottom