Determined Broody and The Snow is Already Falling...

billygoat162

Songster
6 Years
Apr 19, 2016
American Southwest
I have a Buff Orpington that hatched last spring and only started laying a few months ago. She was acting a little broody starting with her first egg, and now she is full broody and my broody buster is only set up for daytime use...I'm also a bit concerned about leaving her out in the weather we're getting.

I'm excited to have another broody after a raccoon got the one who raised her, but we get heavy winters here and I don't want her freezing. She has plucked her chest bare already and just keeps plucking and plucking.

In a month or so we'll have steady subfreezing temps during the day (teens to twenties) and temps around 0 at night with plenty of snow on the ground. Will she be alright with a bare patch on her chest the size of a softball? Is there anything I should do? I waited until after dark to put her in the coop away from the raccoons, but she still managed to stumble her way into a nesting box after walking into just about everything else inside the coop.

Last edited:
Your hen will be fine. Those aren't really cold temperatures and chickens are generally comfortable in that temperature range.

Are any other hens laying? You could block the boxes.

That's the funny thing actually, despite the cold and it getting dark by 6pm I'm getting more eggs than I can eat. All the young ones plus one older one (8 total) are laying. Right now I have a bunch of fake eggs in the farthest nesting box from the door so she doesn't keep chasing off the other hens when they line up to lay eggs.

Those that mature this year will generally lay through winter without any assistance, at a decreased rate and aren't affected by daylight like older hens who need to molt and recover this time of year. Young hens still have their reserves.

If you don't have enough space in your coop for a broody buster,
do you really have enough space for more chicks?

I had a broody hatch in sub freezing temps one Jan/Feb,
had her separated from the flock with a wire wall in part of the coop,
it worked out OK but I wouldn't do it again.
Those chicks would bop around in the cold and seemed fine,
but I think it damaged their feet a bit.

If you don't have enough space in your coop for a broody buster,
do you really have enough space for more chicks?

My coop is only a place for them to sleep at night and lock up their food. There is space for more, they just roam the yard during the day. I’m definitely not looking to hatch any chicks this time of year though.

Even if it’s in the single digits or low teens fahrenheight most of the day?
with proper protection from the elements chickens are fine at those temperatures. When temperatures initially drop, some chickens will stand hunched and look cold. A few days later they are acclimated and are fine. Others don't even notice the drops in temperatures.

Chickens need the prevailing winds blocked, or at least options out of the winds to stand, hopefully there will be some sunshine to stand in. They also need to get out of any precipitation. Something like hay on the ground to stand on is nice too. Perches to hunker down on are good to have too.

If your hen is sitting in an open crate than that's not a good thing. If the crate has a roof and at least 2 walls blocking the winds it should be fine. I have yet to see a chicken freeze to death.

Back
Top Bottom