Devastated :(

I spoke with my neighbor and they were more than wonderful about the whole situation. They are paying for my next batch of babies as well as halving the cost of bulding an enclosure over their coop. We have also decided to call and let our neighbors know when we will be letting them out to range and they have agreed to lock their dog up at those times. I am sure I wont be able to get the vision of their broken little bodies out of my mind for awhile though.
sad.png

In the meantime my lonely little Australorp is spending some time in the house and I'm leaving the coop open in case there are other survivors.

I am thankful I had such responsible neighbors and can only hope that if anyone else has to go through this their neighbors are as helpful.

Last edited:
Quote:
Not to step on any toes or make matters worse, but they are not responsible neighbors if the dog was out and on your property killing your birds. Their dog should stay on their property. I'm sorry for the loss of your birds, I sure hope some have survived and hopefully find their way back.

While I'm so sorry that you had to deal with such a horrible tragedy, I'm glad that your neighbors were willing to take the responsibility for their dog. There sadly aren't that many people like that out there. I hope you get your new babies soon, and in the meantime, cuddle the little one!

UPDATE:

One of my Orpingtons showed up in the coop today!!! I am SO glad I left the coop open and the light on! It's amazing how much comfort I get from knowing that even just one more survived. Plus now my lonely little Australorp has a companion. He spent last night nestled on my neck, EVERY time we put him back in the brooder he would flap out and come find my lap. Poor baby.

Hooray for smart little chickens!

woot.gif

Sorry for your loss. I would not expect the neighbors to be helpful for long if you are calling them to 'ask permission' to let the chickens out.

Glad you found another one alive!

Quote:
I do not see that as helpful neighbors- they shouldn't be letting their dog wander off of their property in the first place.

I am glad that another chick wandered home, though.

Quote:
You are better than me. I would kindly tell them either they contain the dog, or I shoot it when it's in my yard since it's shown aggression before. You have to protect you are yours at all costs. Sorry for your loss. I would not have accepted having to OK my chickens being out on my own property. What if they aren't home? Or don't want to go put it up when you ask? Seems like you are getting the short end of the stick.

While it's nice that the neighbor's are at least somewhat helpful I would be upset that their only concession to dealing with the dog is to say that they will pen the dog up if you call them before letting the chickens out. The dog is a known livestock killer and should be penned or otherwise kept on their property ALL the time! It's not logical for them, or you either, to expect to always be available and willing to pen up the dog every time you want to let the chickens out, year after year. Sorry I just don't see that as a long term solution.

Unfortunately I'm more then positive you are going to have continued problems with this dog. Is there any way your chickens can have a run or other fenced area for their own saftey so more don't have to get slaughtered? I know, I know, people are going to start yelling "you shouldn't have to put up fences to keep other people's dogs out...." and so forth. Well no, in a perfect world we shouldn't have to, but that's not quite the world we live in! Unfortunately most of us are surrounded by idiots who don't care where their dogs go.

A pen of field fence on T posts and a few strands of hot wire around the base at dog nose level would not be expensive to do and better then more dead chickens. Being shocked once or twice also helps reinforce to a dog to stay away!

Good luck, hope you find a solution.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom