Deworm sick hen in what order?

leighks

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 15, 2017
Western New York
My Coop
My Coop
This morning when I let my chickens out I noticed my 2 year old SLW Daily’s comb and face had become pale overnight.
0054C0A3-7C2B-4EC9-BF46-4AB1D32B9528.jpeg

She usually looks more like this:
68102CA7-0674-4330-9B05-721DAD181A05.jpeg

She didn’t want to go out into the yard. I really haven’t noticed her molting much like the other hens but her egg production is down this week. She ate and drank a little when I offered it to her. She’s off by herself fluffed up. Her stool is a bit loose and I saw some blood in the stool from overnight in the area where she usually sleeps:
F304D3EB-BBC8-4588-8C2B-744EE85C1670.jpeg

I have Wazine on hand, so I put that in the waterer today. I did see her drink some. I will go get Corid today, in case it’s coccidia (we just had new sand delivered for their run last week, and it had been rainy, so it was wet for days). I also have some Equimax paste and ProZap powder in case it’s mites (haven’t seen any though).

So I already started the wazine water treatment- what should I treat with next, and when? I don’t want to overdo it, since I don’t know 100% what the problem is, but I’m basing it on the abnormal stool and pale face. Other hens seem fine.

Thanks. I forgot to add that she was completely normal yesterday, active, not pale, eating fine.
They can have some worm load and we usually don't see it until we notice something is off, if she's slower molting it may be because of worm over load taking all the nutrition from her too, we'd need to have a microscope to see most of them until it's bad enough to kill if it's round worm that can be huge

They can have some worm load and we usually don't see it until we notice something is off, if she's slower molting it may be because of worm over load taking all the nutrition from her too, we'd need to have a microscope to see most of them until it's bad enough to kill if it's round worm that can be huge
Oh and yes there is an avian vet that I have been to before, they can do fecal floats, but of course it’s Saturday and they aren’t open until Monday.
A fecal done in May I think from a different hen showed roundworms and tapeworms. I did 2 rounds of Wazine and 2 rounds of Equimax during that time for all.

Oh and yes there is an avian vet that I have been to before, they can do fecal floats, but of course it’s Saturday and they aren’t open until Monday.
A fecal done in May I think from a different hen showed roundworms and tapeworms. I did 2 rounds of Wazine and 2 rounds of Equimax during that time for all.
did you do a second treatment in 10 days to get any hatching eggs?

The Wazine can great round worms. Tapeworms can be hard to control because the intermediate hosts, such as earthworms, flies, snails, and slugs have to be removed from their environment, or they may keep getting tapeworms. I cannot tell in your picture if their are tapeworm segments or not. They look like small pieces of rice moving around in a fresh dropping. The Equimax treats those. After you finish the treatment for round worms since you have already started it, you could always get the fecal test done. Wazine is easy to use, but it is off the market now. I prefer Valbazen or SafeGuard since they get the roundworms, cecal worms, and capillary worms, which can be more dangerous.

This morning when I let my chickens out I noticed my 2 year old SLW Daily’s comb and face had become pale overnight.
View attachment 1926425
She usually looks more like this:
View attachment 1926426

She didn’t want to go out into the yard. I really haven’t noticed her molting much like the other hens but her egg production is down this week. She ate and drank a little when I offered it to her. She’s off by herself fluffed up. Her stool is a bit loose and I saw some blood in the stool from overnight in the area where she usually sleeps:
View attachment 1926428
I have Wazine on hand, so I put that in the waterer today. I did see her drink some. I will go get Corid today, in case it’s coccidia (we just had new sand delivered for their run last week, and it had been rainy, so it was wet for days). I also have some Equimax paste and ProZap powder in case it’s mites (haven’t seen any though).

So I already started the wazine water treatment- what should I treat with next, and when? I don’t want to overdo it, since I don’t know 100% what the problem is, but I’m basing it on the abnormal stool and pale face. Other hens seem fine.
Check to see if she's molting too.
The Wazine is fine to use for Roundworms only, follow the directions on your bottle.
Getting a fecal float to see if Tapes may be part of the problem would be a good idea, if they are, then treat with the Equimax like you did last time.

Corid won't hurt her. Since you have the Wazine in the drinking water for the day, I would direct dose her with the Corid to get a jump start on that, then offer it in her drinking water for the remaining days of treatment.
Direct oral drench directions for Corid can be found HERE This is in addition to making the mixed Corid water available as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Check to see if she's molting too.
The Wazine is fine to use for Roundworms only, follow the directions on your bottle.
Getting a fecal float to see if Tapes may be part of the problem would be a good idea, if they are, then treat with the Equimax like you did last time.

Corid won't hurt her. Since you have the Wazine in the drinking water for the day, I would direct dose her with the Corid to get a jump start on that, then offer it in her drinking water for the remaining days of treatment.
Direct oral drench directions for Corid can be found HERE This is in addition to making the mixed Corid water available as the sole source of drinking water for 5-7 days.
Ok great, thanks for the info. I just want to confirm, it’s not a problem to give her the drench of Corid today and then tomorrow dump the Wazine and do the Corid in the water, correct? Heading to Tractor Supply now to get the Corid liquid...

Back
Top Bottom