Deworming guineas

Adelaar

In the Brooder
Jul 4, 2023
So I’ve been trying to find solutions for deworming or medicating guineas. They’ve suddenly and completely stopped laying eggs 1-2 weeks ago (which I’ve been hoping is just seasonal transition and not a real symptom, even though it’s still 80s during the day), their waddles and noses seem paler, and a couple of them are sniffly.

Everything I’m finding involves weighing and individually dosing ie panacur for 5 consecutive days. With 8 guineas that I was never able to acclimate to being handled, that’s just never going to happen. We are going to be shredded and bitten and clawed and beaten, then after the first day or two, they will REALLY resent seeing us.

I have finally been able to get them acclimated to having me in the coop with them and walking right by them (as long as I don’t extend my arm in their direction) and I can finally feed/water etc without chaotic flapping/flying around coop anymore. 1-2 of them will still fluff up, hiss, strike out to bite me like a snake if I try to do any checking head count that everyone is in coop and checking feed/water in the coop when I get home after dark though so I still think Individual dosing is going to be impossible.

I’m trying to find if there’s a ratio that I can mix panacur suspension or something in water for guineas???? Or other solutions for pale waddles and sniffles??

I never tried to tame my guineas. I did teach them to be herded into the coop. If I needed to deal with an individual, I would use a large net to capture it.

Some people recommend wrapping the guinea in a towel to be able to handle it.

I would remove the guinea from the net by holding both of its legs together with one hand and then positioning it so that its wings were between my body and arm.

For treatment I would remove the guinea from the coop. Once they were removed from the rest of the guineas they would greatly calm down.

There are wormers that can be applied directly to the skin making the amount of time you need to hold the guinea short.

If you are concerned about being bitten or scratched, wear a jacket and gloves.

I recommend doing it during the daytime so that you can release each guinea outside once it is treated. If possible have one more person to help you.

It may seem like a daunting task but it is doable. Getting through it the first time will make it easier the next time.

Will they eat a mash? You could mix some fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) with water and crumbles and stir it really well.

How much do guineas weigh? If they weigh around 4 pounds, I would mix 3 ml in a mash for five consecutive days. Make as much as they will eat in a day, then do that five days in a row.

Will they eat a mash? You could mix some fenbendazole (Safeguard or Panacur) with water and crumbles and stir it really well.

How much do guineas weigh? If they weigh around 4 pounds, I would mix 3 ml in a mash for five consecutive days. Make as much as they will eat in a day, then do that five days in a row.

🤔 it would be worth a try… they’re about 6 mo old/full size so they’re probably a few pounds. They’re leery about trying any new treats when I’ve tried to find something to bribe them (won’t touch millet, mealworms, scratch, etc), but they didn’t mind switching from crumble to pellet formulas in their feeder so they might take it if I put regular feed in a wet mash with panacur in the rim of the feeder and keep them up in coop a little longer 😏

🤔 it would be worth a try… they’re about 6 mo old/full size so they’re probably a few pounds. They’re leery about trying any new treats when I’ve tried to find something to bribe them (won’t touch millet, mealworms, scratch, etc), but they didn’t mind switching from crumble to pellet formulas in their feeder so they might take it if I put regular feed in a wet mash with panacur in the rim of the feeder and keep them up in coop a little longer 😏
I never knew you had to deworm Guinea fowl!!
I had 2 for 6 yrs, u til spring, when a dog killed my female!
Keep the coup clean, etc, but have never dewormed! Male 6 yrs now, healthy & happy except for missing his life mate.

Now I am worried 😫

I never knew you had to deworm Guinea fowl!!
I had 2 for 6 yrs, u til spring, when a dog killed my female!
Keep the coup clean, etc, but have never dewormed! Male 6 yrs now, healthy & happy except for missing his life mate.

Now I am worried 😫
If you don't have a history of worm problems, don't worry about it. I never wormed my guineas, chickens or turkeys. I never see any signs of worms and am not concerned about it.

Back
Top Bottom