DH just brought home a projector!

SunBaked

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Southwest
I've been having a hard time trying to candle pea eggs with a flashlight, the shells were just too thick. My wonderful DH just brought home an awesome old projector that let me see inside the eggs perfectly! It was so cool. I did have to throw out 2 eggs that were empty but one of the eggs the little baby was moving around all crazy. I have named that one Fredward
big_smile.png
.......hope I didn't jinx it by naming it before it hatched......
hmm.png

Glad it worked! I picked up a cool-lite candeled fo $10 at a feedstore a couple of years ago. The same one they sell on the GQF site. It works really good for my chickens, quail, pheasants, turkey and pea eggs. What I really lik is that I don't have to pick up each egg and leave them all in the racks and can go through 100 eggs or so in no time!

Quote:
They are really powerful lights. The only issue I would worry about is the heat generated by the lamp which can cause significant heating in the egg if left on too long.

ColbyNTX I want to get one of those! I was so nervous of shaking them or turning them to quick.

Phage I hope they didn't get to hot. We did it real quick, luckily we only had 5 to check. I have 3 more I set this week, can't wait for the tenth day so I can check them also
big_smile.png

Quote:
thumbsup.gif
I used the same thing 2 years ago before I got a much smaller LED candler for my chicken eggs but unfortunately the cheap LED I bought won't see through the peacock eggs.

i have a 9 LED small flashlight I picked up at TSC for like $3, works great. granted, it sucks up batteries
he.gif
but I can even see through my BCM eggs with no troubles.

I did just pick up a 13 LED one the other week, that was I think $6...works great too.

I do have a projector as well and would often pull it out to see the BCM eggs b/c nothing else worked until I found the one at TSC. The projectors do work great but would get hot so you do need to move quickly.
smile.png
also, if the bulbs blows they seem to be pretty difficult (and $$$) to replace. then again the projector I have is pretty old so maybe that's why.

Quote:
haha i use the same flash lights we bought my dad a big pack of them for xmas but i use them all for candling an have one next to each bator so me an my dad can check them at night.you can also see pips better with a flashlight.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom