Diarrhea After Starting to Lay Eggs?

Seabright12

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Oklahoma
Hi. My chickens are about 6 months old. Two have started laying and I've noticed these two have some occasional diarrhea which makes their vent feathers messy. I've also noticed my rooster has some messy vent feathers too. They act healthy and are eating and drinking fine. I just want to nip this in the bud if it is anything serious. Any ideas?

Hi. My chickens are about 6 months old. Two have started laying and I've noticed these two have some occasional diarrhea which makes their vent feathers messy. I've also noticed my rooster has some messy vent feathers too. They act healthy and are eating and drinking fine. I just want to nip this in the bud if it is anything serious. Any ideas?
the messy vent feathers worry me. they start out fine then the chicken gets sick. pasty butt is not a good thing, if it gets worse, give them an epsom salt bath put vinegar in their water for now, don't let it get bad there is usually no turning back if they get severe pasty butt.
be safe!

I didn't think about vinegar. I will try that. Do you think it would help if I tried to wipe some of the poop off with a paper towel? I am worried that it's going to get out of hand.

Chickens do not get diarrhea from laying eggs and certainly your rooster is not laying. Something else is going on with your flock. I would take a fecal sample to a vet and get it tested for worms and/or cocci and don't delay!

Yes, you're right BarbiD! Somehow I was thinking maybe the laying hens caught mites or some sort of bug from the hay in the nesting boxes and passed it to the rooster through mating---convoluted way of thinking I know, but I'm new to this! Worms makes much more sense. I'll get to work on it. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom