Diarrhea, no eggs after hawk attack

Bonkerelli

In it for the chickens
Jan 1, 2022
I have a chicken who was attacked by a hawk. She lost most all of her tail and butt feathers from the attack. After the attack she has been having runny poop that is white/yellowish. She hasn't laid an egg and her comb and wattle are pale-ish. She is lethargic. I am assuming when she was attached an egg cracked inside of her. I felt her undercarriage and it feels squishy.

Not sure what to do rather than soak her butt. Any suggestions?

Can you post photos of her, her injuries and the poop?

If you suspect that she may have had an egg broken inside of her, then I'd give her extra Calcium and also consider giving an oral antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be a good choice if you have that on hand.

Calcium Citrate with D3 can be given once daily, just pop the tablet into the beak.

Even if it's been a day or two since the attack, she may still be working through shock. Electrolytes or sugar water are good to give. Get her hydrated, then see if she will eat something for you. She may be off her normal feed, but try it wet or dry. Bits of egg or fish (tuna/sardines/mackerel) may be interesting to her. Something red to eat like a little tomato or melon can be enticing as well.

Does she have any tears or wounds from the feathers being ripped out? After swabbing/cleaning the skin with saline, Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to any broken skin/tears/wounds to help with healing and sooth the skin. If the skin is intact, something like Hen Healer or A+D Ointment would be o.k. to use.

Can you post photos of her, her injuries and the poop?

If you suspect that she may have had an egg broken inside of her, then I'd give her extra Calcium and also consider giving an oral antibiotic. Amoxicillin would be a good choice if you have that on hand.

Calcium Citrate with D3 can be given once daily, just pop the tablet into the beak.

Even if it's been a day or two since the attack, she may still be working through shock. Electrolytes or sugar water are good to give. Get her hydrated, then see if she will eat something for you. She may be off her normal feed, but try it wet or dry. Bits of egg or fish (tuna/sardines/mackerel) may be interesting to her. Something red to eat like a little tomato or melon can be enticing as well.

Does she have any tears or wounds from the feathers being ripped out? After swabbing/cleaning the skin with saline, Hibiclens (Chlorhexidine) or Povidone Iodine, apply a little triple antibiotic ointment to any broken skin/tears/wounds to help with healing and sooth the skin. If the skin is intact, something like Hen Healer or A+D Ointment would be o.k. to use.
She took a turn for the worse and I just ended up putting her down.

Back
Top Bottom