Diarrhoea - when to worry?

tinkymalinky

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 27, 2014
I got two new pullets about 3 weeks ago, and one of them very quickly developed watery diarrhoea. She is behaving normally in every other way, and laying fine. They are eating the same feed that came from the breeder, and she seems to be eating normally (although not top of the pecking order so perhaps eats erratically as she gets chased away a bit!). She's been vaccinated against coccidiosis. I'm worming them with Flubenvet right now, but seeing no improvement. The other hens are fine. They spend most of the day in a pen, but free range in the garden for a few hours every afternoon, so she could have eaten anything, although I'm pretty sure she's not eaten anything toxic in any large quantity.

Should I worry or just ignore it? I'm reluctant to spend money on trips to the vet unless it's serious!

I think they can get coccidiosis even when vaccinated. Do you have other hens? They might be resistant to a strain that is affecting her. Also, is your garden soil purchased and are they digging in it? Soil often contains manure, and can include chicken manure.
How old is she and is she laying yet? What are you feeding them?

My 4 month old pullets sometimes have diarrhoea. It is because I feed them a very high protien diet though. I wouldn't worry about it right now, but if symptoms progress, you should take action. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom