Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.

I began hatching shipped eggs this year and quickly learned about shipped eggs and air cell damage. Here is an egg with cell damage in my incubator right now. The air cell space moves around like a water bubble and has extensive "pulled away" places down the sides of the egg. This one has just this one place going down the side but other eggs have had two sides like this. Anyway, I often have these babies go full term only to die at the end, I guess from not being able to hatch. This egg is 8 days from hatching. These are some Breda fowl eggs that I had shipped and just a few are possible to hatch with most looking like this. I fear most will not make it out of the shell, leaving me with little or nothing from this batch of eggs. I did let these eggs, like always, "rest" for 24 hrs before placing in incubator and didn't turn them for couple of days. They are incubating in an auto turner so they are not on their sides. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting more eggs like this to actually hatch? I have also tried some eggs like this in egg cartons for hatching. I wasn't really happy about the luck I had with this when one chick pipped the wrong end, the small end down in the carton and died because it was trapped. Thanks for any ideas!

I began hatching shipped eggs this year and quickly learned about shipped eggs and air cell damage. Here is an egg with cell damage in my incubator right now. The air cell space moves around like a water bubble and has extensive "pulled away" places down the sides of the egg. This one has just this one place going down the side but other eggs have had two sides like this. Anyway, I often have these babies go full term only to die at the end, I guess from not being able to hatch. This egg is 8 days from hatching. These are some Breda fowl eggs that I had shipped and just a few are possible to hatch with most looking like this. I fear most will not make it out of the shell, leaving me with little or nothing from this batch of eggs. I did let these eggs, like always, "rest" for 24 hrs before placing in incubator and didn't turn them for couple of days. They are incubating in an auto turner so they are not on their sides. Does anyone have any suggestions for getting more eggs like this to actually hatch? I have also tried some eggs like this in egg cartons for hatching. I wasn't really happy about the luck I had with this when one chick pipped the wrong end, the small end down in the carton and died because it was trapped. Thanks for any ideas!

1. Make sure they lose the correct amount of mass. (they should lose 14% - 17% of their mass by the external pip)

2. For the hatch, lay the eggs on their sides with the air cell dip facing upwards.

3. If you haven't already, read Sally's assist article. If you have read it, then read it again. Eggs like this seem to be prone to mal-positions.

4. If it's a smaller batch of important eggs, don't be afraid to monitor the hatch. As long as there aren't any external pips, you can open the incubator to candle and look for internal pips.

Good Luck!
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the links. Some I have read and some I haven't. I will go back and check them all out. I have been reading all I can on this matter to try to save as many eggs as I could but I have about concluded that eggs like this just aren't going to have a good hatch rate even when I do all the things suggested and I either have to live with it or buy live chicks! Such a waste though to have them go all the way to hatch time then not be able to get out because of the damaged air cells but then birds didn't evolve to have to hatch under the conditions that are created by shipping!

Shipping can really mess up your hatch rates sometimes. Hopefully the info in the articles will help and the assisted hatch article is great for helping chicks in trouble.

Thank you everyone for the links. Some I have read and some I haven't. I will go back and check them all out. I have been reading all I can on this matter to try to save as many eggs as I could but I have about concluded that eggs like this just aren't going to have a good hatch rate even when I do all the things suggested and I either have to live with it or buy live chicks! Such a waste though to have them go all the way to hatch time then not be able to get out because of the damaged air cells but then birds didn't evolve to have to hatch under the conditions that are created by shipping!
Oh, if you only new..............

I have an undisclosed number of shipped eggs sitting in my bedroom at 65C brrrr waiting to go on another plane ride.

How are your hatch rates on local eggs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom