Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know a while back on BYC I read some about Ivermectin and Dawg is the Wormer guru on BYC and was telling someone how much of the Ivermectin to use so it would not harm your chickens. You might look for his advice on it. He does alot of reseach on stuff he uses on his chickens! Alot of ppl refer ppl to him!
feel free to research this further. it is hard to overdose ivomec if you do it within reason. my instructions came from here, but not from dawg. according to the thread the guy was a vet, he said if your in doubt about the dosage its ok to give just a little more.

the biggest problem i have heard from this treatment was people using it near the oil gland (by the tail) and the chickens getting ill because they ingested it wet. when i use it, i put it on the back of the neck - in between the wing blades but toward the top area. make sure you separate the feathers and get it on raw skin or it wont work.

give me a little bit and ill see if i can find the actual thread.

i had given you the wrong dosages, so im glad i looked this up. i changed my original post with the right dosages. i dont use the eprinex type because of cost. the pour on in the yellow box with the same dosages worked just fine for me. but again if you have any questions feel free to research this further. my insect/poison information comes from running a nursery - not from managing livestock. i am prone to some mistakes because my training was more "generalized" and not for specific insects.
and again, i do not recommend this on chickens you plan on eating, and i wouldnt collect the eggs for eating purposes. as a hatcher i do not notice any problems with fertility.

this is a direct quote from flockwatcher:
"For Ivomec Eprinex the dose is 0.25 ml for bantams and 0.5 ml for large fowl. Best administered from a syringe (without needle of course.) You should be able to pick up syringes from the feed store, or you can probably beg a child dosing gadget out of the Pharmacist. Don't try to do it with drops; the amount of liquid in a drop varies considerably from liquid to liquid; drops are only accurate when referring to a specific medication.

I imagine you'll have a hard time finding the dose for turkeys or ducks. I've never owned any. I have no idea if they even need it, though it makes sense they would.

You're already off label using it on chickens. You could try talking to a vet. Or you could do it by weight. A typical large fowl hen is, glancing over Henderson's, around 5 pounds, so if you have a 10 lb. turkey you could give 1.0 ml. I haven't the faintest idea whether it is safe for turkeys or ducks, let me be clear about that.

To administer, part the feathers from one spot on the back of the neck and squirt directly on skin. I have done this twice now; easy to do on the roost, by myself.

Good luck."

i had given you the wrong dosages, so im glad i looked this up. i changed my original post with the right dosages. i dont use the eprinex type because of cost. the pour on in the yellow box with the same dosages worked just fine for me. but again if you have any questions feel free to research this further. my insect/poison information comes from running a nursery - not from managing livestock. i am prone to some mistakes because my training was more "generalized" and not for specific insects.
and again, i do not recommend this on chickens you plan on eating, and i wouldnt collect the eggs for eating purposes. as a hatcher i do not notice any problems with fertility.

this is a direct quote from flockwatcher:
"For Ivomec Eprinex the dose is 0.25 ml for bantams and 0.5 ml for large fowl. Best administered from a syringe (without needle of course.) You should be able to pick up syringes from the feed store, or you can probably beg a child dosing gadget out of the Pharmacist. Don't try to do it with drops; the amount of liquid in a drop varies considerably from liquid to liquid; drops are only accurate when referring to a specific medication.

I imagine you'll have a hard time finding the dose for turkeys or ducks. I've never owned any. I have no idea if they even need it, though it makes sense they would.

You're already off label using it on chickens. You could try talking to a vet. Or you could do it by weight. A typical large fowl hen is, glancing over Henderson's, around 5 pounds, so if you have a 10 lb. turkey you could give 1.0 ml. I haven't the faintest idea whether it is safe for turkeys or ducks, let me be clear about that.

To administer, part the feathers from one spot on the back of the neck and squirt directly on skin. I have done this twice now; easy to do on the roost, by myself.

Good luck."

Thanks!

I just confirmed my suspicion of where the parasites were coming from.

I was out in the barn and I saw a young barn swallow that had fallen from it's nest. I picked it up and instantly there were little red mites on my hand as well as a few other bugs. Yuck!

I did manage to get the little bird back in it's nest. As much as I hate the barn swallows, I do have a soft heart.

go with ostrich
Haha oh no ostriches aren't allowed where I live!
If I had a pond I would try swans, they can sell for quite a bit once fully featheted
I would, but I have a terrible childhood fear of the swans that live down the street from me in my neighbors pond.. *shudders*
hugs.gif
frow.gif
HI MRS. SALLY!!!!!

I just confirmed my suspicion of where the parasites were coming from.

I was out in the barn and I saw a young barn swallow that had fallen from it's nest. I picked it up and instantly there were little red mites on my hand as well as a few other bugs. Yuck!

I did manage to get the little bird back in it's nest. As much as I hate the barn swallows, I do have a soft heart.

Awww good luck. Before you go with a wormer you might try Adams Flea and tick spray. When you dust you need to dust them every 7 days until you see no more signs of bugs. Check the butt feather base for egg clumps. I would use the flea and tick spray and dust. I am always worried about using a wormer as worms become immune to them.. I also wouldn't use anything that would keep me from eating eggs or meat especially if I sell birds. I don't know what the other person will be doing with them. Oh and I think you can use the TopSpot stuff for dogs. Couple drops between the wings on the back.

Quote:
Someone else had told me about Adams Flea and tick spray earlier this spring. Have you tried it with success? I may have to look into that.

I admit that I'm a bit nervous about using something as strong as ivermectin but I think I'll at least give it a try. I know a lot of experienced breeders that use it.

Last edited:
Quote: d-lemonine (found in some adams products) has been known to cause some issues with feathering - cant remember why, or where i read this.. use your own judgement. if memory serves me correctly it was burning and curling of certain feathers- not something you would want on a show bird. if your not showing your chickens, it would probably be a great method to get rid of them.

frontline or any related product will cause a 30 day egg withdraw, but they do work. im not sure of the active ingredient in frontline type products, but i know its systemic and is supposed to last 30 days.

this is not intended to be an argument, we are talking about poisons and we all need to be educated about them. my training was 6 years ago and i have forgotten a lot. and several new things have emerged since i took the classes.

keep in mind too, several of the poisons are toxic to fish and waterfowl. it seems to me (memory might be wrong) that pyretherins and permetherins sprays are toxic to fish.

any poison you decide to use should be thoroughly researched, look up MSDS sheets for the chemical name. remember to treat all poisons as such.

on another note, if your chickens are in optimum health; lice and mites wont affect them much. there are some farms that dont even treat for them. i do not want to send them out accidently, so i do treat. keeping them bug free also makes for happier chickens.

Someone else had told me about Adams Flea and tick spray earlier this spring. Have you tried it with success? I may have to look into that.

I admit that I'm a bit nervous about using something as strong as ivermectin but I think I'll at least give it a try. I know a lot of experienced breeders that use it.
none of these products will work on their own. i try to stick with poisons relating to food products (garden, meat etc). some "pet" poisons have residual issues that may need to be avoided.

you will probably have to change all bedding, especially if you use straw. when changing, spray out any pens completly, use a poison spray to kill any remaining insects. if i cant find tobacco stalks i will put a couple handfuls of 7 dust in a 5 gallon bucket of bedding and mix it. again this wont cure the problem, but helps slow down re-infestations.

edited to add: good luck with this, my wife and i spend about $1,750 a year on insect/parasite control. with all the precautions, we still find them from time to time.

Last edited:
Quote: d-lemonine (found in some adams products) has been known to cause some issues with feathering - cant remember why, or where i read this.. use your own judgement. if memory serves me correctly it was burning and curling of certain feathers- not something you would want on a show bird. if your not showing your chickens, it would probably be a great method to get rid of them.

frontline or any related product will cause a 30 day egg withdraw, but they do work. im not sure of the active ingredient in frontline type products, but i know its systemic and is supposed to last 30 days.

this is not intended to be an argument, we are talking about poisons and we all need to be educated about them. my training was 6 years ago and i have forgotten a lot. and several new things have emerged since i took the classes.

keep in mind too, several of the poisons are toxic to fish and waterfowl. it seems to me (memory might be wrong) that pyretherins and permetherins sprays are toxic to fish.

any poison you decide to use should be thoroughly researched, look up MSDS sheets for the chemical name. remember to treat all poisons as such.

on another note, if your chickens are in optimum health; lice and mites wont affect them much. there are some farms that dont even treat for them. i do not want to send them out accidently, so i do treat. keeping them bug free also makes for happier chickens.

I know that permethrin is extremely toxic to fish and I try to be as careful as possible since raising koi is another hobby of mine. I didn't know that it affects waterfowl. I need to look into that since I do have 4 ducks and 2 geese.

Quote:
We use hay for bedding. Sounds like it's time for a major clean out.

I'll continue researching. My hope is to find something that's effective and fairly safe. I know it's more than likely fine, but even the poultry dust bothers me. It says that if it gets on your skin, you should rinse for 15 to 20 minutes and call poison control, yet I'm rubbing it into the skin of my chickens.

If only there was a way to disinfect the barn sparrows...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom