Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sally, morning..... Can you explain the markings on the eggs..... thanks.....

Dave
thats highly scientific Mr. Dave!

I color code my eggs for set date, I slash color mark each egg that is set that day with a colored sharpie, then I write in the same color what was set on that date on my calendar and then I immediately write the 7 in the same color on the 7th day, 14th, and lockdown of course. then I write hatch date in the same color.

Its easier than writing on the eggs all the time, and I can look quick and know who is what and how old.....

make sense?

what I have been doing with the new cabinet is when I take the tray out for candle I move the eggs to a new tray and in different positions front middle then back, rotation just in case there is cold hot spots as I want my hatches on time. just over paranoia I guess????

Ok so in a bit confused. Someone told me on another thread that they've had a much higher hatch rate on shipped eggs by laying then down as soon as veining starts. Stating that is more natural which I agree with. So in not sure if it's better to leave them upright in the cartons or to lay them down. I will day since I have a staggered hatch keeping then upright held me quickly know which is which without looking at and then looking up numbers. Help?

Ok so in a bit confused. Someone told me on another thread that they've had a much higher hatch rate on shipped eggs by laying then down as soon as veining starts. Stating that is more natural which I agree with. So in not sure if it's better to leave them upright in the cartons or to lay them down. I will day since I have a staggered hatch keeping then upright held me quickly know which is which without looking at and then looking up numbers. Help?

I think the reason for them being upright has to do with being gentler on their air cells. Read the hatching 101 article the section on shipped eggs is really helpful. But it couldn't help to experiment and figure out what works for you. I liked using an automatic turner because it was gentle and turned everybody evenly.

It all depends on those air cells, if they are loose or jiggly you need to keep them upright.

Since I have this new bator and turn eggs in a "turner" the embryos do look different, they are more at the top of the egg, and I am not sure what difference this makes as far as hatchability with upright during the first 17-18 days though, I will have to research that when I have time. I am busy with a million projects right now so please remind me to dig deeper into this in a few weeks. I do know hand turning gives you a strong embryo, however shipped eggs have more "issues" than a normal local egg. keep this in mind. they have the chalaza that can fray and break too!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

~~thats highly scientific Mr. Dave!

Yes it is and I'm storing that info for later...... Great idea......
bun.gif

Sally-have you fermented medicated feed. I only just discovered I have been getting medicated feed. Little ticked off!

I use medicated chick crumbles for my entire flock right now, I will start fermenting soon again since the lower level is almost complete...

whats up with it? you cant ferment medicated feed?

It all depends on those air cells, if they are loose or jiggly you need to keep them upright.  

Since I have this new bator and turn eggs in a "turner" the embryos do look different, they are more at the top of the egg, and I am not sure what difference this makes as far as hatchability with upright during the first 17-18 days though, I will have to research that when I have time.  I am busy with a million projects right now so please remind me to dig deeper into this in a few weeks.  I do know hand turning gives you a strong embryo, however shipped eggs have more "issues" than a normal local egg. keep this in mind.  they have the chalaza that can fray and break too!  

:thumbsup
:bun   

I use medicated chick crumbles for my entire flock right now, I will start fermenting soon again since the lower level is almost complete...

whats up with it?  you cant ferment medicated feed?

So what of most of my air cells have healed? Do I lay them down and hand turn?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom