Diary & Notes ~ Air Cell Detatched SHIPPED Chicken Eggs for incubation and hatching

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm so bad, I just set up shipment of more silkie eggs...my husband is gonna ****
lau.gif
in my experience and proof yet again with Harmonys won eggs, silkies are THE VERY WORST eggs to ship, they have very week membrane for some reason! I wish you better luck than me! I pray you used oz's letter to shipper and that they are close to your area!!

I actually cleaned and sterilized all the reg coolers this morning, then I started to feel really weird and very sleepy, I slept all afternoon and evening! Not sure what is wrong with me, I had to do all my housework a little bit ago. hate when I have to do that stuff before bed! I feel like I lost a day!

who has faverolles that can tell me anything about them? the ones DH got are blue salm favs and I just set them. They are very pretty birds
I have had the hardest time with them. They are really sensitive to shipping, they seem to hatch with glaucoma a lot and I haven't hatched out a batch of QUALITY faverolles that didn't have at least 30-50% with curled toes. I love the breed, but the gene pool is so small that I think that they have some serious genetic issues to get over.

This little guys unabsorbed yolk sac is about the size of a marble (not an aggie, but a regular marble for those of you who remember playing marbles....). My fear, because I'm less knowledgeable about these things than I should be is that the membrane containing the yolk sac actually becomes part of the digestive system: the intestines and if this does not become absorbed, the poult will have a blockage in his digestive system, though this is probably just rubbish because he's already passed meconium which means that his intestines are working just fine, right? I'm going to put the poor, complaining thing into the brooder and hope everything works out.

This little guys unabsorbed yolk sac is about the size of a marble (not an aggie, but a regular marble for those of you who remember playing marbles....). My fear, because I'm less knowledgeable about these things than I should be is that the membrane containing the yolk sac actually becomes part of the digestive system: the intestines and if this does not become absorbed, the poult will have a blockage in his digestive system, though this is probably just rubbish because he's already passed meconium which means that his intestines are working just fine, right? I'm going to put the poor, complaining thing into the brooder and hope everything works out.

I'm very limited in knowledge of the subject, but I thought I'd mention that I've tied off yolk sacs before with success. I've done it 4 times, and 3 of those times resulted in healthy babies that thrived.

Well, well.

Been quite a while, eh?

The bad news:
Lost all the chickens this winter. All of them. Some kind of rat, raccoon, opossum, I don't know, but it's getting into the coop. I'm gonna leave out the details ...

Good news:
Gonna head over to TSC and bring home a new batch of chickies. Also gonna check around BYC and look for some Serama eggs to hatch. It's about time I bring out the Mini Advance 'bator again.

Well, well.

Been quite a while, eh?

The bad news:
Lost all the chickens this winter. All of them. Some kind of rat, raccoon, opossum, I don't know, but it's getting into the coop. I'm gonna leave out the details ...

Good news:
Gonna head over to TSC and bring home a new batch of chickies. Also gonna check around BYC and look for some Serama eggs to hatch. It's about time I bring out the Mini Advance 'bator again.
I can imagine those critters!!! all the chickens!!! awweeeeee

I have serama but I am backed up with orders at the moment!

Congratulations on your new babies Katie!  Have lots of fun with them.  I'm wondering, did you crack open the remaining eggs and take pictures of the results?  Would you have done anything differently?

Thanks! There is one thing I would have done I dont know if it would have changed anything but on day 18 I turned the temp down to 98.5 I think if I would have left it at 99.5 until eveybody pipped then turn it down. my hatch may have been less spaced apart because the first ones to hatch were all in a row under the heating element. And those chicks took less time to look vibrant and fluffy.

I did open my eggs a few had quit weeks ago so they were dead before lock down now I know how those look after candling so I wouldn't set those next time (they were bloobs with space under where the chick grew. And the air cell on top)

Two had their head between there legs so couldn't pip. It was sad those two were the shipped ones that fully developed but did not hatch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom