DIary of a novice, shipped egg, broody hatch

No, our neighbours complained to council that we had chickens and when that got them nowhere suddenly our rooster was waking them at 5am and we had to get rid of it. I don't doubt they could hear him at 5am but only from their living area not the bedrooms up the other end and only because we see their lights on at 5 am anyway rooster or not.

Fingers crossed it's a girl, would be hard to give up after all this effort.

Well our hatch is officially over. I just went and collected the last 5 eggs and candled them and I can assure you there will be no egg autopsies being performed as what's inside seems to have mostly liquified and there is no way I'm smelling that!

So to recap
12 eggs shipped from the opposite side of the country.
2 arrived cracked or broken
3 (including cracked one)didn't fit under penny so had some very hit and miss incubating done in a borrowed incubator that hadn't been set up prior - none developed
8 put under broody - 2 didn't do anything much, 1 stopped round 10 days, 4 stopped round lockdown, 1 hatched. In hind site it would only put 6 under her next time, I think she is actually small even for a silkie and think she struggled to cover them all.

While 1/12 sounds pretty bad, considering the amount of things we learnt as we went along I don't think you could 100% blame the shipping :)
planning to try again later in the year if she goes broody again as I still don't have my blue australorp and it was a thoroughly enjoyable( if stressful at the end) experience!

I'll post some photos of junior if penny ever let's it out from under her, at the moment it gets roused on every time it tries to poke it's beak out and pushed straight back under lol and then of course starts the saga of is it a boy or a girl :)

Last edited:
Awww, its so cute!
big_smile.png

Your photos are absolutely stunning! What camera/lens did you use for these shots?

Your Splash Australorp is gorgeous Appps! Penny must be very proud. Keep us updated on HER progress :)

Lol I know I keep calling it he because we have a he rabbit so it's habit. I just hope I haven't jinxed it lol.

Was pretty sure it was a splash but good to have confirmed :)

Back
Top Bottom