Did emergency crop surgery last night

Cheep a'lil Talk a'lil

Songster
10 Years
Mar 20, 2009
Sequim, WA
I've been trying to get grass clippings out of her for a week but no luck. I noticed "Pigs" breathing was getting difficult I made the decision to do the crop surgery.
Surgery went great and you would never even have know it was done. The girl is all over the place, jumping on my daughters back when she was laying some newspaper down for her. She defiantly wants back in the coop with her sisters, chirping and clucking for them. And she definitely lives up to her name, Pig (short for Pigwidgen from Harry Potter).

My question, how long should I keep her separated and on a strict diet. I know if I put her back out with the other girls she would just go and gorge herself. We got her this spring so she's only a couple months old and I'm afraid she's going to do it again.
Any thoughts?

I have to add, she is going nuts in the shower. It's small with a frosted glass door and she keeps jumping up like she'll be able to jump over it to get out. I'm afraid she's going to hurt herself. If she keeps this up I think it would be safer to but her out with the others. The stinker!! Doesn't she know she's suppose to be resting?!
roll.png

Last edited:
I did a crop surgery a little over a year ago. I kept her on a scrambled eggs and very soft diet for 3 or 4 days and isolated for a little over a week. She did great.

I have a hen that has grass or straw stuck in her crop right now. She has been like this for about a week. For a few days she was having a hard time standing up. She is doing pretty good right now and her crop half emptyed last night and is eating a little chick starter today. Anything else I should do?

I have been giving her 125mg of penicillin a day for 5 days. It seems like it has helped. She is still shaking her head but doing it less.

It's great that her crop is half empty, have you tried giving her mineral or olive oil?
My daughters hen was vomiting but unable to bring anything up but what she had just eaten. That made the decision for the surgery.
But if yours is emptying then you should keep up with what your doing. I'm not to sure about the penicillin. I think that's a personal preference, from all that I've read, and it's been A LOT, it's almost 50/50 on how people feel about using antibiotics.

Here is a link to the thread that was most help. And if it wasn't for their video I don't think I would have had the confidence to do it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/457391/impacted-crop-baseball-size-video-is-ready
Hope this helps and she gets better!

Her crop seems to already be starting to empty tonight . Yay!! If she isn't doing any better tomorrow I will try some olive oil. I only started her on penicillin because I wasn't sure what was wrong. She was having a hard time standing up so I was nervous. The penicillin does seem to help so I am still giving it to her. I probably won't give it to her again because I don't like to give them antibiotics.

So how is your chicken doing?
Pig didn't make it. After keeping her on a limited diet I thought she was ready to go back in the run with the others. I didn't think it was possible but I think she had an eating disorder. She had her crop impacted again in no time. We went out and she had died in the coop over night.
I really hope I never had to do the surgery again but I don't regret doing it.

Back
Top Bottom