Did he broke his neck! Is there anything I can do?

Arber

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2023
20230729_075538.jpg
20230729_075759.jpg
20230729_075803.jpg

I've had a rooster do that pose with wry neck. It's one of the milder forms of torticollis, easily treated. Give him a 400iu vitamin E capsule once a day until after symptoms pass. Just push the pill into his beak and he'll swallow it.

Wry neck or torticolis, seen in all animals and birds, can be caused by vitamin E deficiency, a head or neck injury, and is seen in some diseases that affect the brain. I agree that vitamin E can be be used daily, and just a little scrambled egg will also supply some selenium that can help the vitamin E. Could he have been hurt by another cockerel or rooster?

Wry neck or torticolis, seen in all animals and birds, can be caused by vitamin E deficiency, a head or neck injury, and is seen in some diseases that affect the brain. I agree that vitamin E can be be used daily, and just a little scrambled egg will also supply some selenium that can help the vitamin E. Could he have been hurt by another cockerel or rooster?
I don't think so. I never saw the dominant rooster attacking him. The two others are still young. Maybe he got injured trying to get out of the Cooper, because all others know how to get out without opening the door by me except him. The door is a little bit open below and firstly they have to get their head out and than push the door with the body. Maybe his neck got stuck trying to get out! He was good yesterday.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom