Did I do something wrong?

BRsRock

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jan 31, 2011
Saturday I learned how to process chickens. My teacher was kind enough to give me one of the roosters that we processed. Sunday I cooked him. His flavor was good, but he was VERY tough. I put the rest of him in the slow cooker today and made soup.
Did I cook him too soon? Does chicken have to age to be tender? I hope to process some roos myself this fall, but I really don't want a bunch of tough birds.
sad.png

My dad butchered most of the roo's 2 years ago and we butchered them when they were 6-7 months... it was also tough my dad said so he used the meat for soup instead. Works better for soup.

I'm not sure the age, but I know they were a little later than they wanted to be doing them. They looked to be full grown to me. As to what they were fed, I'm not sure of that either, but they were raised for meat. I didn't expect to get a bird, I was only looking for training so I could do my own.
So BfM, any roosters I have this year (Ameracuna x with either BR, RIR, or Aust.) I should make sure they are processed before they reach 3 months if I want meat I can chew?

Quote:
It was in my frig for almost 24 hrs. after he was processed. Was that not long enough?

More likely then not , you cooked the chicken before rigor mortis has passed. Depending on age/ maturity,sex, and breed, temperature, it could take 2-4 days in the refrigerator. Check if the legs are nice and loose ( back and forth, up and down and not stiff) before you cook the birds. Also, the older the bird gets, the slower, moister, and lower temperature for the cooking method.

Quote:
Yeah, that must be right. I remember when I was preparing it for the oven that I thought the legs were stiffer than I was used to. Now I know.
I will know better when I do my own as to how old they are. I keep close records when it comes to hatching and age.

Thanks everybody, you've all been very helpful!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Not at all. Three months = 12 weeks, and in my opinion the standard breed chickens aren't big enough at that age to make it worth the effort of processing. Some folks do them at that age anyway, and can even fry or BBQ them. I prefer to let them grow meatier, waiting until 18-24 weeks of age, sometimes even older. I let them rest in the refrigerator 2-3 days and cook them slowly with lots of moisture. They're ALWAYS tasty & tender that way.

Back
Top Bottom