Did I do something wrong?

Khricket

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 18, 2013
I have 3 chicks and 4 ducks. The 2 smaller ducks are quite aggresive towards the chicks so, I built a long nesting box with 3 sections. Each section is 12x12x12, but all the chicks sleep on the floor. I thought it was too high for them so I moved it to a lower level for them, about a foot off the floor. They sleep on the floor right in front of them. I feel so bad for them. Are they too young to sleep in them or have I done something wrong? They are all around 5 weeks old I think, thats how long I have had them. Thiesen's didn't know how old they were so we are guessing at a few days old when we got them. I got them at different times but within a week of each other. They were all about the same size at the time. Any suggestions on what I should do or should I do nothing and they will figure it out?

The nesting boxes are for laying eggs, not sleeping. I had one flock of 5 that slept on the floor for the longest time. Suddenly, they decided to get on the roosting bars and did not sleep on the floor after that.

Your roosting bars may be too high for them to reach, if they are young and there is no ladder style roosting arrangement to climb.

I have observed chickens doing things that seemed strange to me. I try not to over-think these things. Chickens have been making it for a long time. If they are not in danger, I just let it go and see what happens.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom