Did my chicken lay an egg?

leilani10

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 19, 2012
southern lancaster County,Pa.
My 16 week old hen made this god awful clucking sound. never heard this before from her. It was early morning. The new coop is not finished yet and she is nighting in a blue spruce tree. A big, old tree. She comes out when I call her. This morning it was earlier than usual. She sounded like she was in distress . Is this normal. I'm sorry I am new to this. Leilani

What type of pullet is she?
Did you find an egg at all?
It is perfectly normal for them to make noise when laying an egg.
I have one that sounds like she is dying B4 she lays the egg, one that runs back and forth to the nest box and one tat does not make a sound at all.
Just make sure that you check her to make sure the egg is Not stuck inside her.
Feel the bottom and make sure nothing is hard or poking out. Usually if this is her First lay, you will be able to tell by looking at the vent (at least on mine i could tell). It is normal to see a little blood, and the vent will look more puffy or stretched than normal.
Hope this helps you !
Best Wishes and God Bless,
Laura

Thank you for the info. Couldn't find the egg but will check her vent. It is a rir and the brown egg can't be seen in so much undergrowth. We live in the country. Rural area. Hope this is the begining of fresh eggs. Leilani

Back
Top Bottom