Did my rooster fight off my neighbors dog?

Kaiser Fertilizer

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2022
SE indiana
My chickens were recently attacked by my neighbor's dog, which is a problem in itself, I might post about another time. I was so upset because I thought I had lost a rooster and a hen, only seeing 5 of my hens out of the 7 chickens total. I saw the dog upon walking outside and the missing chickens, so it was pretty obvious something had happened. My family and I chased of the dog and searched for the missing chickens, and the missing hen just showed up, surprisingly safe. But just before I was about to give up, I heard the rooster under an old car in our driveway, crammed between the tire and the vehicle itself, barely able to get out. I checked him, and while he had practically lost his entire back tail feathers, and had a few cuts on his comb (no gashes, just tiny bloody red dots, possibly from the car) he was unharmed when I checked his whole body later on.

While I'm still trying to fix the dog problem overall, I want to know a specific question: did my rooster put up a good fight? I hadn't seen any marks on the dog in my single glance, and I assumed from the beginning that my rooster was the exclusive victim, but considering how my hens and my rooster all made it out alive with little to no damage (again, I checked all around their bodies, esspecailly the rooster) Is it possible he made a comeback?

Just for extra information, my rooster is a year and a couple months old Rhode Island Red (often aggressive). The dog is some sort of brown and white short haired dog (idk the breed) average size. My neighbors put the dog away for a couple days it seemed, presumably because my dad shouted towards it (as it ran towards their house). Although I didn't see any damage to the dog, I only saw it for a split second, from a couple yards away. This isn't the first time the dog attacked either, but the first time it seemed the rooster had no part in it (we lost one chicken that day).

So what do you think? Was my rooster simply a victim of an attack or did he actually fight off that dog?

Last summer I had one of my Mallard hens disappear. I had to go to Church so I went thinking I would never see her again. When I got home from Church my neighbor came walking up the road carrying my Hen. She had gone for a walk once she had flown out of the free range pen and took herself down around the corner to another neighbors house that has ducks and chickens. The part that gets funny is she was caught chasing their Australian Shepherd dog all over in their yard. After clipping her wing as I did not realize it had grown back out I went down to apologize to the neighbor that had the dog it had chased. The neighbor told me that she was so happy to see my duck chasing it as her dog she was chasing which was her own dog had killed 6 of her own chickens! That shocked me. I guess Mallard Hens know how to look out for themselves, little bully. lol

Back
Top Bottom