Did this egg quit developing?

lmadeline146

Songster
Jun 6, 2022
There’s 10 days until hatch (day 11) and majority of my eggs look well developed. However, I was candling them today and noticed an egg that looked underdeveloped. We had an egg a few days ago with a ring of death, so we got rid of the egg but I never noticed this egg until today and I made sure to candle all of them. Is it just a slow developer or should I remove the egg?
(the humidity is low because i was grabbing the eggs in and out of the incubator)

The first image is the underdeveloped egg and the other two are examples of the other eggs.

Attachments

• 5666A33F-891E-4205-9E38-6AC89EE9967A.jpeg
    5666A33F-891E-4205-9E38-6AC89EE9967A.jpeg
    219.8 KB · Views: 39
  • F0B8ED9F-FACA-450E-A285-7CC1F3AAA081.jpeg
    F0B8ED9F-FACA-450E-A285-7CC1F3AAA081.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 24
  • A9DA1E8F-58AE-4173-90A7-D4C2E79E5B87.jpeg
    A9DA1E8F-58AE-4173-90A7-D4C2E79E5B87.jpeg
    186.6 KB · Views: 31
Can you take some pics with the light coming from the fat end of the egg, rather than the side?
Its a bit hard to tell what it going on.

Can you take some pics with the light coming from the fat end of the egg, rather than the side?
Its a bit hard to tell what it going on.
It's too difficult to tell with the pictures you provided. Candling should also be done from the air cell end. I wouldn't call it a quitter yet. I also suggest getting a better candler. The one on the NR360 isn't that great.
Here are two more pictures from the correct angle. I think I might be able to see a ring on the egg in the 2nd image

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 29
Here are two more pictures from the correct angle. I think I might be able to see a ring on the egg in the 2nd image
By this point there should be more obvious veining. Personally though, I never toss an egg unless it smells. I don't want to risk misidentifying an egg as being a dud! Sometimes an egg with a particularly thick shell or a dark shell can be more difficult to candle. I can rarely ever seen anything in my olive egger or Marans eggs.

By this point there should be more obvious veining. Personally though, I never toss an egg unless it smells. I don't want to risk misidentifying an egg as being a dud! Sometimes an egg with a particularly thick shell or a dark shell can be more difficult to candle. I can rarely ever seen anything in my olive egger or Marans eggs.
Thank you :) Should I check for a smell everyday just to make sure? This is an egg from one of my Marans.

Thank you :) Should I check for a smell everyday just to make sure? This is an egg from one of my Marans.
I was wondering if it was a darker shell. With the NR 360 candler you probably won't be seeing the veining very easily. Leave the egg. Just smell around the vent hole every day. You'll smell it if it's bad... its really not often that an egg just rots. I've not hatched nearly as many as some folks on here, but at least 60 eggs so far and I've never had one rot but I've had quite a few quitters and duds!

I should say that is a quitter, but as long as it doesn't smell, I would leave it a bit longer.
Every other day should do.

Back
Top Bottom