Difference between draft and ventilation?

Quote:
I actually think the design is awesome. IMO you only get a draft if you have big openings on more than one wall. Wind doesn't blow from the ground up so I think that bottom opening will just bring in cool air to be evacuated near the roof.
If a draft is bad, how do people keep their chickens that prefer to roost in trees from being exposed to a draft?

A couple things to consider though.
I think the floor screen would get clogged if you use the deep litter method. In about 5 minutes they'll kick the shavings all over it.

A ridge vent is great and my first 2 coops had them till a big snowstorm and they were worthless.
Even the cupola vents got clogged with snow.

72519_p1010091.jpg

Last edited:
I can't help you with the vent/draft question, but I can help you with the picture problem if you're using the BYC uploads page.
When you're uploading the picture you have the option to resize the image. I have to resize mine for websites and emails to make them a decent size (be sure to select the Resize Image? box).

Chicken Canoe - Brrr....your picture looks like our normal winter. Mental note, ridge vent will be covered by snow, leave window and rear vent (with a deflector?) open. Leave the floor vent open for a vote by the chickens.

la dee da - Thank you for the picture resizing directions!

Quote:
On my coops the back vents are near the roof line and they have a door that opens and closes like yours. the hinges are on the bottom so that when I leave it partially open it blocks direct wind flow but allows the air inside to escape. I also have windows on the opposite walls and I leave them open about an inch... just enough for air flow. I also kind of agree with what the other poster said about chickens roosting in trees.... I do not worry as much as when I first started chicken keeping.... ventilation is very important and chickens survived without shelter for centuries... or else they wouldn't be here. I have turkeys too and they roost up in the rafters of their enclosed run... rain, sleet, snow, wind doesn't matter... they have a shelter but mostly ignore it.... even my silly favorelles that were raised with the turkeys prefer to roost up in the rafters with the turkeys
idunno.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
On my coops the back vents are near the roof line and they have a door that opens and closes like yours. the hinges are on the bottom so that when I leave it partially open it blocks direct wind flow but allows the air inside to escape. I also have windows on the opposite walls and I leave them open about an inch... just enough for air flow.

Can you post pics? I'm a bit confused cause weve gotten alot of snow this year and I dont want my vents to be blocked next year (when my coop is built).

Last edited:
I see your concern, I have my ducks in a rabbit hutch this winter and I am working on their duck house, I am doing this in it also - I am using PVC coated wire, and intend there to be straw in there but wanted to be able to spray it out- This winter what I have done because the rabbit hutch is also PVC wire bottom is I have placed the large foam squares for kids play rooms on top of the wire, it has worked really really well to keep the draft out, and has actually made cleaning easier- I can use a garden hoe to pull the majority of the straw out slides easily on the foam - whereas it was not working good on the wire bottom - also then I can pull the foam squares out and hose them down- the straw isnt stuck in the wire bottom- spray them and replace easy peasy- I think I may actually leave them in and work other ventilation come spring - because of how easy it makes it to clean - I will leave the wire bottom because if a solid wood the floor could become wet and rot, this way - since theyre ducks and very wet and extra poopy the integrity of my floor joists will stay intact -

My chickens are in a separate coop - the chicken coop is not set up this way- the chicken coop has a solid floor which I covered with vinyl flooring -which is great for keeping out draft but I made an access door along the bottom of the wall so I can spray it out. I also only use straw in the winter in the chicken coop the rest of the year I use sand mixed with PDZ Powder the smell is soooo much better. The winter months stink - literally- I have also seen where people use a pond liner on their floors to protect it.

I should also mention that the walls of the chicken and duck houses - and the rabbit's too actually are lined with what used to be old metal sheds- I found on craigslist for free- if i disassembled and moved- I have used the metal in this way to allow me to spray and clean these houses for a few of reasons - of course I like clean - lol but I think should there ever be an illness that invades my flock(s) that sanitizing will be so much easier and because spraying out just wood structures could eventually create rot possibly mildew presenting a health hazard to my babies and - I only really want to make the investment once if I can help it.

our coop has roof that slopes backwards- and over hangs in the front - for ventilation we used soffit(as used for homes w/ vinyl siding) and hardware cloth on the inside to "close" up the rafter spaces. We also have a screen door on the front which during warm weather is open - the screen door screen is reinforced to protect against predators, and there is a window also that is left open during the warm months in picture1. you see the over hang and the spaces picture2 the soffit and window are in place and screen door ( at the bottom the hinged flap is to spray out the coop- ) in picture 3 the soffit is more visible.
You can also use HVAC floor vents or wall vents as an option too.

Attachments

• IMG_20171024_175414118[1].jpg
    IMG_20171024_175414118[1].jpg
    642 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20180103_155039986[1].jpg
    IMG_20180103_155039986[1].jpg
    529.3 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_20171121_160415917_HDR[1].jpg
    IMG_20171121_160415917_HDR[1].jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 86
at the bottom the hinged flap is to spray out the coop
That caught my eye immediately! I think more raised floor coops should have something like that. .
Mine too, but opposite reaction.
'Spraying out a coop' with water(I assume) is not a good idea, IMO.
Water breeds organisms and sustains insects, and wood can take forever to really dry out...unless you live in the desert.

But...was surprised to see this 8 year old thread pop up.
Welcome to BYC @4Sunnysideup !
Would love to hear more about your chickeneering,
might want to start a new thread here for more welcomes and some tip guides.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/new-member-introductions.44/create-thread

Back
Top Bottom