Difference in comb size between hens of same breed?

nekomi

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
Ohio
I have two White Leghorns here, and I'm not sure if they are both hens or not... here are pics -

This one I'm sure is a hen...
leghorn1_sm.jpg

This one, I'm not so sure!
leghorn2_sm.jpg

What do you all think? They are the same age, and from the same hatchery... they are just past laying age. I've been getting 3 - 4 eggs daily from my flock of 14, so some chickens are laying, some are not.

Last edited:
Your second photo shows a bird that is more mature than the bird in the first photo. As Leghorns age, their combs and wattles lengthen. Their combs will get even larger.

Yes, they are both female.

the bottom one is SCREAMING cockeral to me. Lengthing of the comb with age or not...that comb comes off the back of the head of the body. I would say male for sure

Last edited by a moderator:
asylum, PLEASE tell me why you are saying it is male?

There are no long pointed saddle or hackle feathers, no curved sickle feathers, the comb is not standing up (male Leghorns have a comb that stand straight up towards the sky) and the earlobes are not as large as a male's.

Here is a male Leghorn for comparison:
2a3a08d0.jpg

The second bird is not more mature... I raised both Leghorns from day-olds, and they are the exact same age! They were born on March 15.

No, I don't MEAN she is older in age, I mean she is more mature. She has the hormones that are causing the comb and wattles to lengthen. She is closer or has already reached sexual maturity (and reached it faster) than the first pullet.

Quote:
This is super interesting to me. I have three Buff Rock hens in my flock, and one of them has a smaller comb than the others. Just less mature. Does something cause this? Will it all work out in the end?
She is also my shy, quiet hen.

Genetics is the only thing that I can assume. Just because they are from the same hatchery, doesn't mean they will all reach sexual maturity at the same time. Each bird in the breeding pen is different, and each reached maturity at it's own pace. The breeder hen that reaches maturity fastest is the most desired because it takes less feed and time to get the "product".

So, if your bird matured faster you can assume that her mother reached maturity faster. But, that's just my theory. Leghorns are prone to maturing early, I'm assuming, because of their genetics.

And, to add photos of hens in different stages of maturity.

THIS pullet is like the first photo you have:
Hen.jpg

THIS pullet is probably close to the same age, but is more MATURE:
leghorn8-19.jpg

Back
Top Bottom