Different age chickens........what to do?

cajun chicken

Songster
Apr 6, 2015
Central City, LA
I need a little help choosing what to feed my flock without having to have 3 different types of feeds in the pen. From searching on here, it looks like ppl use starter/grower and provide oyster shell for the layers until all are laying. I currently have layer crumbles and layer pellets available in feeders and a flock block. I hope I didn't hurt the younger ones with the layer feed??

Here is what I currently have together in my pen. All pullets except for my silkie rooster
- 3x - SLW chicks about 7 weeks old
- 1x - 11 week old black copper maran
- 2x - 17 week old Barred rocks
- 4x - 17 week old RIR
- 2x - 3 YO Buff Orp. Hens
- 1x - 3 YO Wellsummer

Thanks in advance.........

When I have different age chickens together, I feed them an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side. Read the label on the bag before you do - most All Flock feeds are for chickens 8 weeks and older. I'm not sure if feeding it 1 week sooner would do any harm.

When I have different age chickens together, I feed them an All Flock feed with oyster shell on the side. Read the label on the bag before you do - most All Flock feeds are for chickens 8 weeks and older. I'm not sure if feeding it 1 week sooner would do any harm. 

That sounds good. I'm going to get some flock raiser at TSC tomorrow and oyster shell. Thanks

That sounds good. I'm going to get some flock raiser at TSC tomorrow and oyster shell. Thanks

I recommend Purina Flock Raiser for all your different ages... dumor is slightly cheaper, but the Purina is better formulated for various ages... also, I found that I save more in the long run with it as they eat less of it than dumor as well...
Btw, I have varied ages in a pen and this is what they're on and all doing well... good luck! :)

I recommend Purina Flock Raiser for all your different ages... dumor is slightly cheaper, but the Purina is better formulated for various ages... also, I found that I save more in the long run with it as they eat less of it than dumor as well...
Btw, I have varied ages in a pen and this is what they're on and all doing well... good luck! :)

Sounds like a plan!

Back
Top Bottom