Different ages introduction?

rach080296

Songster
5 Years
Jan 29, 2016
I have 14 chicks at about 5weeks old have a coop and electric fence but I'm getting 3 6 month old black chickens to help keep away hawks how would I introduce them and can they be housed together?
MVIMG_20200412_103416.jpg

Black chickens scare away hawks? Never heard that one before, and I think you shouldn't be getting them just for that reason. For sure it will do no good against hawks for your overall flock.

If you do decide to continue, keep them separated but visible to each other for a while. 6 months is much older and more mature than 5 weeks, and usually they are introduced the other way around (younger chicks to more mature chickens), but I think it should work out the same.

After having them separated (a couple weeks would be my minimum), monitor their behavior with the chicks. Let them all out together to mingle and get to know each other.

If possible, you may want to wait until your 5 week olds are more like 15 weeks, they will be closer in size to the 6 monthers. It will also make integration smoother.

I read somewhere that hawks mistake them as crows and stay away but I'm desperate because my chickens are getting eaten

I have 14 chicks at about 5weeks old have a coop and electric fence but I'm getting 3 6 month old black chickens to help keep away hawks how would I introduce them and can they be housed together?View attachment 2106682
That coop won't hold 14 full grown birds....might want to expand the coop to cover the whole wagon base and find somewhere else to store feed and straw.
Gonna be very dicey adding 3 older birds to the mix.
I'd be more worried about the chicken wire on the windows/vents as it's not predator proof.

Where I live in Florida the only predators are mainly hawks and raccoons in the neighbor's cats maybe So my coops been that way for 5 years it's been pretty good and I have that electric fence around it which keeps every land animal out so far The only problem I have is the Hawks but I decided not to get the birds because it just wasn't a good enough reason in the end I guess

That coop won't hold 14 full grown birds....might want to expand the coop to cover the whole wagon base and find somewhere else to store feed and straw.
Gonna be very dicey adding 3 older birds to the mix.
I'd be more worried about the chicken wire on the windows/vents as it's not predator proof.
How big does it need to be?

Back
Top Bottom