Difficult decisions made ☹️

Tumbleweedlynn

Crowing
Sep 5, 2022
Central New Mexico
This summer I got back into the chicken life after almost 20 yrs. I found this forum and have benefited so much from all the knowledge that so many of you have, although I will admit that I did not follow all of the advice.
I have two flocks-one with a mature rooster and 5/6 laying hens that I acquired from a family friend (Ayam Cemanis), and the flock I put together from some eggs we hatched from a barnyard mix, as well chicks both purchased from TSC and also given to me that are ACs. From that flock, I ended up with 9 cockerels, 6 are ACs. Two of the cockerels I hatched and are the first chicks I had. They were so sweet, my little buddies. I asked here if they would stay sweet and get along, and the overwhelming responses were it was unlikely. I had a plan 0for the AC cockerels- they were going to pay the rent for everyone🤣 I have since realized my initial push to do this was to love on some hens and have fresh, beautiful eggs.
My husband culled three of my cockerels tonight. It took me a while to agree to this, but I reminded myself that we had already agreed in the beginning that in the case of cockerels, we would give them away or eat them. I really, really struggled with this, but I want my hens to lay in peace and on my lap.
Sorry to ramble. I really just wanted to thank all the thoughtful and straightforward advice I received from everyone initially. It all makes sense now, and better late than never. Six cockerels will go to a poultry sale this weekend, and my AC rooster will stay and love on his flock and cock a doodle doo all day long 🖤🐓🥚

I’m so sorry but that what farmers do they make those hard decisions🥺😢 May they Rest In Peace 🖤🐓🖤
Thank you! They were spoiled, but my pullets are going to start laying soon, and it was amazing how quick things turn. I don’t know how many times I was told that, right here in this forum. Really grateful for you all.

This summer I got back into the chicken life after almost 20 yrs. I found this forum and have benefited so much from all the knowledge that so many of you have, although I will admit that I did not follow all of the advice.
I have two flocks-one with a mature rooster and 5/6 laying hens that I acquired from a family friend (Ayam Cemanis), and the flock I put together from some eggs we hatched from a barnyard mix, as well chicks both purchased from TSC and also given to me that are ACs. From that flock, I ended up with 9 cockerels, 6 are ACs. Two of the cockerels I hatched and are the first chicks I had. They were so sweet, my little buddies. I asked here if they would stay sweet and get along, and the overwhelming responses were it was unlikely. I had a plan 0for the AC cockerels- they were going to pay the rent for everyone🤣 I have since realized my initial push to do this was to love on some hens and have fresh, beautiful eggs.
My husband culled three of my cockerels tonight. It took me a while to agree to this, but I reminded myself that we had already agreed in the beginning that in the case of cockerels, we would give them away or eat them. I really, really struggled with this, but I want my hens to lay in peace and on my lap.
Sorry to ramble. I really just wanted to thank all the thoughtful and straightforward advice I received from everyone initially. It all makes sense now, and better late than never. Six cockerels will go to a poultry sale this weekend, and my AC rooster will stay and love on his flock and cock a doodle doo all day long 🖤🐓🥚

Respect for recognizing what needed to be done and going through with the plan, even though it hurts. Part of raising chickens is your rooster plan, and its not pleasant. Chicken math involves both addition AND subtraction.

Respect for recognizing what needed to be done and going through with the plan, even though it hurts. Part of raising chickens is your rooster plan, and its not pleasant. Chicken math involves both addition AND subtraction.
Well put. Thank you. My 18 month old granddaughter who loves the chickens was the biggest factor.

I could Never have mentally made that decision! I am so sorry! 😔

I could Never have mentally made that decision! I am so sorry! 😔
You would be amazed what kind of decisions you can make when you take the emotion out of it.

When it comes to the comfort of several over the attachment of a few, the majority usually wins.

In my first year back having chickens, I have had chickens butchered to eat, I have done a necropsy on a chicken, I have paid for a necropsy on a chicken, I have rehomed chickens I was attached to, I have shoved pills down throats of chickens that were seemingly too large for them to swallow, I have had a chicken die in my arms, I have constant neck pain from bending over and examining every chicken poop that pops up, I have pulled dry poop off chicks butts with my bare fingers, and the list goes on. I have lost three Pullets I raised from eggs - one of them is stuffed inside my husband’s taxidermy shop. Who has heard of such a thing? I was not anticipating half of those things to happen, but they did. I love my chickens, some more than others, but when you are faced with things that are unpleasant, it does teach you what works and what doesn’t.

Keep researching and reaching out for knowledge, although sometimes it can be unpleasant, it’s still worth it for me ❤️

Attachments

• A3F7E9A2-43B6-4E6A-A1B3-304175503529.jpeg
    A3F7E9A2-43B6-4E6A-A1B3-304175503529.jpeg
    447.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom